1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 17, 2013 1:34 PM by philmodjunk

Importing records from an unrelated external Filemaker database

alfredonm

Title

Importing records from an unrelated external Filemaker database

I'd like to import records from a Filemaker Pro 10 database that it is set as an External Data Source but it is not related to the actual database where the data will be imported. Basically the script looks like this:

Set Error Capture [On]

Open File [Open hidden; "Study Request"]

Go to Record

Set Variable[$$SerialNumber;Value:Study Request::SerialNumber]

but when I try to specify the value of the variable in the "Set Variable" Options windows, the database from which I want to import records does not come up because it is not related, and if I set it manually I get the error "the specific table cannot be found"

I don't want to open the external source when I start the database because it is shared...

Does anyone know a workaround this?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Importing records from an unrelated external Filemaker database
          philmodjunk

You can often ignore the "related table", "unrelated table" divisions of this list when setting up a calcuation in a script step as they will refer to the context established by the current layout in your database and that may not be the current layout at the time your script executes.

You don't need the open file script step here, the entire script can be:

Go to Layout ["Study Request" (Study Request ) ]
               Go To Record
               Set Variable

If you don't have a layout based on a Table Occurrence of this external table, you will need to create one.

But you can also use import records to import data from this table whether you set up an external data source reference or not.