5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 8, 2012 6:30 AM by philmodjunk

Importing records from FM file

AlexRansome

Title

Importing records from FM file

Hi,

I have FM Go and it can export my records as an FM file and then be emailed to my computer ready to have the records imported into the parent database. I have three tables, Company Info, GIS Inventory and GIS Stock Transactions. The GIS Inventory is the main table and the GIS Stock Transactions appears as a portal in the GIS Inventory layout.

The problem is that when trying to import the records I can select the GIS Inventory table on the right pane and select the same table in the right pane and import the records minus the GIS Stock Transactions, so the stock levels are not correct. What I can do is select GIS Stock Transactions in the left pane but not GIS Stock Transactions in the right pane. The dropdown box indicates the tables are realted but is greyed out.

Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: Importing records from FM file
          philmodjunk

If you are doing a manual import--selecting Import records from the file menu, first go to a layout based on the target table--the table you want to receive the imported data, then select Import Records. You'll need to repeat this for each table of data you want to import.

• 2. Re: Importing records from FM file
            AlexRansome

Hi Phil,

Thanks for your answer. I thought that was how it should be done but ... I've attached an image of why I can't do it that way.

• 3. Re: Importing records from FM file
              philmodjunk

This would indicate that you are on a layout where "GIS Inventory" is specified in "Show Records From" in layout setup.

If you change to a a different layout, one that lists "Company Info" in "Show Records From", then you would see ("Company Info") as the Current Table entry.

• 4. Re: Importing records from FM file
                AlexRansome

I tried that and was able to change the target. But selecting the table from the right pane still only left me able to import the fields from the left pane to the fields in the right pane. This time it was trying to match fields to the Company Info table instead, the other related tables were still greyed like in my first screen shot.

I can pick different tables in the left pane, but not the right.

Does that mean each time I want to import the records from an FM database I have to change the 'show redcords from' box for each table I'm importing? Sounds a bit pump if that's the case.

• 5. Re: Importing records from FM file
                  philmodjunk

I can pick different tables in the left pane, but not the right.

That is correct. The table that lists fields in the right pane is the target table. You select the target table by selecting the layout before you select Import Records from the File menu. Strange, but true.

On the other hand, if this were the Import Records script step, you would be able to select any table from this drop down, but when you are performing a manual import records operation, you only have two available options: The table of the current layout and "new"--an import that creates a new table as part of the import.

Thus, you need to select your target table's layout before selecting Import Records from the File menu.