8 Replies Latest reply on May 12, 2009 11:18 PM by rfwilmut

Importing records with styled text.

rfwilmut

Title

Importing records with styled text.

I have a database one of whose fields contains text which is coloured differently in different records to indicate specific information.

Having found a set of these records I need to import them into another database (which has the same field names set up); it is essential to maintain the text colours.

Selecting all and copying in the first database and then pasting in the second does not work: if you select a field the entire set is dumped into that field. If you don't select a field nothing happens.

Exporting as ASCII text and importing  loses the text colouring.

How do I achieve this? 

• 1. Re: Importing records with styled text.
          philmodjunk

I just did a quick test to be sure.

Use File | Import Records | File

To import your records. The text color will be imported.

• 2. Re: Importing records with styled text.
            rfwilmut

Importing from the file: does this mean saving the first database and then importing that? Will that bring over found records only? (I will try all this but I'm not at present on the computer which has the DMP trial).

I'm also trying to import an Appleworks database which has the same text-colour situation: presumably this is impossible since it won't be possible to import the AW file? I did try copying out to RTF but I didn't expect it to import and it didn't.

• 3. Re: Importing records with styled text.
              philmodjunk

rfwilmut wrote:

"Importing from the file: does this mean saving the first database and then importing that? Will that bring over found records only? (I will try all this but I'm not at present on the computer which has the DMP trial)."

Import Records is a powerful tool with many different options. It's a very good idea to read up on it first in the on line help and then try it out on copies of your database. That way, if you make a mistake and alter 10,000 records in your database in a way you didn't want, you can toss out the file and try again with a new copy.

What I am describing is using Import Records | File to import the records from one table in a Filemaker Pro File to one Table in another Filemaker Pro file. If you first open the source file (The file from which you will import the records), Import Records will import the found set of the table you select as your source table. This way you can pull up just the records you want to import in a found set, then open your target file and use Import Records to pull them in.

If you don't first open the source file, Import Records will import ALL the records from the selected source table.

"I'm also trying to import an Appleworks database which has the same text-colour situation: presumably this is impossible since it won't be possible to import the AW file? I did try copying out to RTF but I didn't expect it to import and it didn't."

I don't have appleworks so others will have to advise you on the best method. You should be able to import the data (You may have to export it from Appleworks as a tab or comma delimitted text file first), but I imagine you are correct that you will lose the text color style settings.

Hope that helps.

• 4. Re: Importing records with styled text.
                rfwilmut

If you first open the source file (The file from which you will import the records), Import Records will import the found set of the table you select as your source table. This way you can pull up just the records you want to import in a found set, then open your target file and use Import Records to pull them in.

If you don't first open the source file, Import Records will import ALL the records from the selected source table.

Thank you: that's a distinction which 'The Missing Manual' didn't make clear and it looks as if it is the anwer to that problem.
                 I suspect that the Appleworks import problem will prove more (if not totally) intractable but I'll keep hammering at it. Unfortunately one of the AW databases in question has 12,000+ entries in it, many of them coloures, so manual intervention is hardly practicable. 
                • 5. Re: Importing records with styled text.
                  philmodjunk

"Thank you: that's a distinction which 'The Missing Manual' didn't make clear and it looks as if it is the anwer to that problem."

I'm actually repeating what I learned by reading the on line help. :smileywink:

Good luck with your other import, that sounds like a real challenge. Since the color signifies something in the original database, perhaps there's a way to modify your data in Appleworks in a way that you can pick out and identify which data had a specific color after import? (In other words, do all the records with a given color have some other detail in common?)

Just a wild guess on my part.

• 6. Re: Importing records with styled text.
                    rfwilmut

Since the color signifies something in the original database, perhaps there's a way to modify your data in Appleworks in a way that you can pick out and identify which data had a specific color after import? (In other words, do all the records with a given color have some other detail in common?)

There are two databases which present particular problems. In one, which has about 1,570 records, several colours are used but the same information is carried in a separate field (when printed only the field with the coloured text shows). So the actual information would be in the new database, but not the colours - altering them manually isn't really an option, and at the moment I can't see any way of automating it.

The other is a simple but large database of film titles and dates seen. Some of the titles are coloured in red as an indication that I don't want to see them again: these total perhaps 500-800 out of a total of over 12,000 (includes repeat viewings...  this is over 50 years) and there is no other indication. So far the only method I can see is to import as plain text and then go through the database looking manually for the films which should be in red and colouring them.... several hours work. Possible, I suppose. I can't see a way of automatically adding some special character to the red entries to enable searching. 

• 7. Re: Importing records with styled text.
                      AussieMT

I know how you feel with all that AppleWorks data and no where to go....

I've duplicated the AppleWorks file, deleted all the records that are not 'red', imported that set, and marked them some way in FMP so that you can reintroduce the red text. Repeat for each colour. In FMP, find the set that you marked as 'red' and setup the display option to display as red etc.... repeat for each colour.

Not the 'smartest' but it works, and avoids retyping data!

• 8. Re: Importing records with styled text.
                        rfwilmut
                           That would be a useful way to go; how do I find those records where the relevant text field is red?