3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2012 7:46 AM by yomango

Importing to related tables

yomango

Title

Importing to related tables

Hello out there, I have a file with two related tables, one of the tables is populated through a portal on the other table screen. Now I get an excel file with information pertaining to both tables. Since one of the table creates its own record ID which is passed to the other table through the portal. Is there a way to bring information to both tables and still keep the relationship? Thanks.

• 1. Re: Importing to related tables
          philmodjunk

You can import from one excel table, twice--once into each table. But you need to be able to link the data in the two tables or it won't appear in the portal. If you have a common value that uniquely identifies each parent record (The layout's table), you can use it to link each record in the parent table to the newly imported records in the child (portal's) table. If this common value is not what you use in your relationship, you can define a second relationship based on this other value and then a script or replace field contents can use this relationship to copy over the ID number to the child table.

If not, then you'll need to import into a temporary table and use a script that moves the data into each record of each table one row at a time and it can use the ID number from the newly generated parent record to link it to any new child records.

• 2. Re: Importing to related tables
            yomango

Thank you for taking your time to answer. I will proceed to follow your instructions. To import data from foreigner files into related tables is not as easy as one-two-three. Thanks again

• 3. Re: Importing to related tables
              yomango

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question.  Importing data from foreigner files into related tables is not as easy as one-two-three. I  forsee a lot of manual handling,especially when having hundreds of records to import. Thanks again.