7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2012 12:14 PM by Sorbsbuster

Importing with Excel

Branden

Title

Importing with Excel

When choosing to import an excel file, when I get to the Import Field Mapping window the majority of the Target Fields do not relate to the actual names shown in the Chemistry tab. Is there a reference to help me interpret what row the Target Fields names will actually import my data into?

See JPG example: Target Fields on right window do not relate to the fields on the left in the chemistry tab. Can I get them to be identical so I don't have to guess with trial and error?

Example.JPG

• 1. Re: Importing with Excel
          Sorbsbuster

The column on the left is entitled with the column headers (the first row) of the Excel sheet.  You can change these names to be whatever you want - in the original Excel sheet.

The column on the right is the field names of the Table you are importing into.  They are as defined in the FM database.

You can drag the fields on the right to match the fields on the left, however you want them to import.  You cannot change the order on the left (not in this pane, anyway).

If you make the top row of the Excel sheet have exactly the aame names as the Filemaker Table field names then you can choose 'Matching field names' as an automatic matching order.

Once you align the field names the way you want you can trap that order in a script, so you don't have to re-match the field names.

• 2. Re: Importing with Excel
            Branden

The second sentence is the source of my confusion, I believe I understand the rest. Not sure I worded it right the first time. The column on the right is NOT the field names of the Table I am importing to, that's the problem I guess. They are close, but not intuitive. Is there any way to make them exactly the same as how they show up in the Table I'm importing into? Every time I import now they get shuffled around. I'll try the "Matching field names" function since I set up my excel sheet to have identical names as they show up in the Table database.

Sorry for the confusion, hope this clarifies the problem. Thanks for any help.

• 3. Re: Importing with Excel
              Sorbsbuster

If the list on the right is not the Table you mean to import into, then you can change that with the pop-down arrow at the top.  The field names you will see will be the field names exactly as defined in the Filemaker file.  You can change them by going into 'File -> Manage -> Database', but it seems a bit extreme to modify field names just to look similar to an Excel import.

You can move the fields to match once, and they will stay the same for the next time (if you don't close the file) but an easier, or better, way would be to create an Import Records script, define the import order once, and then it will always be there.

• 4. Re: Importing with Excel
                philmodjunk

Minor correction:

If you are selecting Import Records from the FileMenu, you should first select a layout that is based on the table into which you want to import data. You can determine the table on which a layout is based by entering layout mode and then checking the name selected in "show records from" found in layout setup. You cannot select a different target table from the drop down except when you are setting this up as a step in a script.

• 5. Re: Importing with Excel
                  Sorbsbuster

Are you expecting the field names shown in the list to look exactly like the text labels beside each field on the layout?

• 6. Re: Importing with Excel
                    Branden

Thank all of you, I think I'm coming to a conclusion. Sounds like I can re-name them to match.

Yes, I am expecting the field names shown in the list to look exactly like the text labels beside each field in the layout. That is exactly the source of my confusion! It's pointing to the right table in the drop-down list and from suggestions here I think I'll just re-name those fields.

Thanks again.

• 7. Re: Importing with Excel
                      Sorbsbuster

The designer has named the fields in a very logical way.  The text labels on-screen can be made to be user-friendly and do not have to be the same as the true field name.

" ...I think I'll just re-name those fields" - I hope you mean 'rename those columns'...?