3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 16, 2009 3:07 PM by philmodjunk

Improper Return to  Find Operation

spoke

Title

Improper Return to  Find Operation

One of my databases, called Books to Read, is a summary of the books my wife and I plan to read, or have read.  In the database, each book is a record showing its characteristics, such as title, author, type, a text synopais, along with check out and availability data from our local library.

I am changing my computer from Windows XP to Mac 10.5.8 and am converting my databases from Windows Filemaker 6 to Mac Filemaker 10, ver.3.  In the old Windows mode, the databases worked perfectly as designed.

The conversion process of the Books to Read database went smoothly, with all 2400 records carried over and all pertinent data correctly present, in the dozen or so records I checked.

In the database, the type of book in each record (fiction, non-fiction, computer, etc) is exclusively noted by a value list of five check boxes. 

My problem comes when performing a find operation on the fiction check box.  With this find, when the fiction check box is checked, not only are the fiction book records returned, but non-fiction ones are returned as well.  Conversely, when the check box of all other book types are checked, the correct books are returned after the find operation.   

All other data base operations I use, such as finding a book with a query based on title, author, etc, or culling out duplicate records, work perfectly.

My other two Filemaker data bases do not use checkboxes in their value lists, and they work fine after conversion.

I am a database neophyte, using only Filemaker.  The three databases I designed are simple flat files, written some eight years ago.

Anybody have any ideas about what is wrong with the find operation, and how to fix it? 

Thanks,   Al Faris

Macbook Pro  X 10.5.8

• 1. Re: Improper Return to  Find Operation
          raybaudi

Hi Al

How do you make your finds ?
          Manually or by a script ?

keep in mind that to find records wich have: finction, you'll need to search by: ==finction

• 2. Re: Improper Return to  Find Operation
            Sorbsbuster

Hi Al,

My first reaction is almost the converse to yours - I don't see how it didn't produce that 'fault' in your former version!  I think the answer is that you are looking in the field 'BookType' for the data 'fiction', and one of Filemaker's great strengths is that it will return all records with that starting character string in the field, anywhere.  But I have come across many examples where Filemaker is inconsistent (read: "I didn't investigate it conscientiously enough") in what it sees as a separating character.  For example, searching for the data "Smyth" would return for me all the people with the name " Mr John Smyth" and also those called "Mrs Jane Smythe", as well as those called "Mr Smyth Jones".  But whether it also returned those called "Mr Ponsonby-Smythe" seemed to be determined by whether or not Filemaker saw the '-' as a word-separator or not.  The 'name' example is only slightly facetious, but is a serious enough issue when you are searching for Part Numbers that often include '-' and '/' in them.

My guess is that there is some difference in the encoding between WinXP and Leopard, and one sees the text 'Non-fiction' as one word, and the other sees it the same as 'Non fiction'.

To prove my theory you could duplicate the field and format the copy as an 'Edit box'.  Then perform the search in that box, only this time enter '=fiction', and my guess is you'll see only those that have 'Fiction' as their type.  If that works, then you can use that box for searching (and leave the check box for rapid data-entry), or write a script that takes your search criterion and prefixes it with a'=' before performing the search.

Hope that helps,

Alan

• 3. Re: Improper Return to  Find Operation
              philmodjunk

To expand on Raybaudi's post:

When you enter the text "Apple" as a find criterion into a filemaker text field, it will match all of the following:

Apple

Apples

Granny Smith Apple

Applesauce

To filter out the partial matches, you'll need to insert == , the exact match operator, before your search text. If you are doing this manually, you'll have to enter the the text into an edit box formatted field instead of a checkbox field. (See Field / Control | Setup...)

Your other alternative, if you want to keep your check boxes when performing a find, is to take out the hyphen so that Non-fiction is now Nonfiction. That'll require using replace field contents to update your existing records.