4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 26, 2010 6:22 PM by inevco_1

Improve your database using images

inevco_1

Title

Improve your database using images

In Custom Sotware Software, it's very important to use creativity to built easy and elegant software for users.

Here is an exemple:

We have many check box to "check".

In a graphic's oriented solution, we should have a better look to make it easier for users.  Here it is:

Feel free to download the .fp7 files to see how it work. http://www.inevco.ca/INEVCO_ExampleCheckBox.fp7.zip

Enjoy  !

• 1. Re: Improve your database using images
          Steve Wright

Or you can improve the check boxes using this method, which requires no additional fields, of course its not graphic based but looks better than the standard check boxes, and has no field borders which look ugly, when you select the check box.

http://bit.ly/cR6At7

It uses a text box for the tick and a standard box for the base,

Its grouped and has a button which sets the desired fields value.

Then custom formatting applied to the tick (text) to enlarge the font size when the value <> 1 thus making it invisible.

Quite a lot for a tick box lol... but I have seen a lot worse.

• 2. Re: Improve your database using images
            philmodjunk

inevco's check boxes have one problem for me. They blur the boundary between check boxes and radio buttons due to using circular images. Generally, check boxes are used when multiple selections may be made and radio buttons when only one option should be selected. (Yeah, I know, you can over ride that by holding down the shift-key but wish filemaker didn't--or at least allowed us to disable that behavior easily.)

Since the upgraded check boxes are round--just like radio buttons, it's not as obvious to the user that multiple selections may be made.

• 3. Re: Improve your database using images
              Steve Wright

PhilModJunk wrote:

Generally, check boxes are used when multiple selections may be made and radio buttons when only one option should be selected. (Yeah, I know, you can over ride that by holding down the shift-key but wish filemaker didn't--or at least allowed us to disable that behavior easily.)

Im with you 100% on that...  Check boxes for multiple, Radio Buttons (should) be for Single.

• 4. Re: Improve your database using images
                inevco_1

Phil, I'm with you 100% on that too ...  Check boxes for multiple, Radio Buttons be for Single. 

But actual need of my customer is one check box for one item.  And he want to have a very clear process.  So, I build it for him .. and share it with you.

SWS, you technique is nice ! thanks !!