1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 1, 2010 11:38 PM by FentonJones

In over my head I think!! Help appreciated

Northall

Title

In over my head I think!! Help appreciated

Hi all, As usual, I jump in to offer help to friends that have little or no IT skills and often end up doubting my own. The one thing I've learned from my current offer is that Filemaker has been an absolute godsend for any upcoming projects that I'd wished I stayed away from! I've created the tables and basic relationships for a small engine service center. Customer->Engine->ServiceRecord->ServiceLineItems<-Products. The Engines can have many owners over their lifetime and I want to be able to track the service history showing who owned them whenever they were serviced. I created some sample data but the service record showed that the current owner is referenced on all historical records despite changing the owner on every service occurrence. That's my first problem The second is that regular services can fall into 16 service types, all using a set list of products that I'm trying to pre-populate a portal with. I've tried creating a link table to form a relationship between Products and ServiceType with very limited success. Some service types contain the same products as others in differing quantities and that's where I'm getting confused. I realise I'm trying to do something beyond my capability at the moment but can't help thinking I'm missing something blatantly obvious. Please, any pointers greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: In over my head I think!! Help appreciated
          FentonJones

It's late, so I'll be short. 

1. It is not possible for you to have changed the owner in the service records, yet they still show the same. So either you did not change them, or you have the wrong field assigned on the layout, or both.

2. The quantity goes in your join table between Service Type and Products. I'm not quite sure how that would later be used in the actual Service Line Items for a particular ServiceRecord. The above join table is NOT the Service Line Items. 

On a Service Line Item, do you have sometimes just a Product, and other times one of the ServiceTypeProducts (what I'm calling the join table above), or always just a ServiceTypeProduct? Or is a line just a ServiceType, and you automatically get all its ServiceTypeProducts (at the quantity pre-entered)? Or an unholy combination of the 3. It's important to know, as it may require some work to handle, beyond the level we're at.

But that's the next step. First you have get the join table right.

You did not mention IDs. I hope you're using them, because at the level you want to build, join tables, etc., you need them; likely you do have them.

I think you need to be a bit more technical, explain how you are using them. I don't have a very exact vision of your structure, at least not exactly how you're using IDs in the links. Because both your problems are caused by some small misunderstanding of how the relationships are working.