AnsweredAssumed Answered

Include button to download/copy file

Question asked by DK on Aug 1, 2013
Latest reply on Aug 2, 2013 by philmodjunk

Title

Include button to download/copy file

My apologies if this question is trivial or stupid - I'm completely new to FileMaker, and have inherited a FM project with an urgent change request.

I have a table layout with a portal widget that lists OS files related to a database record.  These file names and paths are stored in another table, but the files themselves are on another network computer.  I want to add a button or link to each portal row, which will allow the user to download the file listed in the row to their local hard drive.  I think I've figured out how to put a button in the portal, and the button's Open URL function almost does what I want, but I need a way to copy the file to a local drive, not open it in another program.

If I could shell out to the OS command line, I could probably write a command to do this.  From what I can tell, though, the closest I can come to that is using Send Event for Windows machines, and Perform AppleScript on Macs.  (Most of the users are on Macs, but I've only ever coded for PCs and web apps.)

So, my questions are:

1.           Is this the right approach, or is there something (hopefully) easier that I'm missing?
  3.           If this is the right way to go, is there a platform-independent approach?
  5.           This project is configured as a FileMaker front end with a MySQL back end.  Currently, each user needs to have a copy of the .fmp12 file, have the proper DSN set up to the MySQL server, etc.  Most users use Macs, but we'll be migrating to a single file on a Windows FileMaker Server, with each user having a client to access it.           

1.                     If there's an unavoidable Windows-Mac duality here, will it be sufficient to use the windows approach on the server, and let the clients just retrieve their info from the server, no matter what platform they're using?
    3.                     When executing the copy to the local machine, will I need to do anything special so that it doesn't just copy it to the FM server (the data files will be downloaded from a different server)?  I need the files to go to the clients' local drives, not just to the FileMaker server, to which users won't have direct access.

7.           It's likely that I'll need to use some FileMaker scripting in any event - is there a good introduction to this available?  I've found a couple of reference pages, but nothing along the lines of a tutorial or basic layout of its capabilities and limitations.
  9.           Bonus question - to start out, I'm happy just to copy the file to the user's desktop, but eventually they may want to be able to select the target directory for the file copy.  Is there a built-in utility for that?

Thanks for your time.

Button_demo.png

Outcomes