5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2010 9:18 AM by philmodjunk

Including a Found Set date range in a report headers

kitesurfer

Title

Including a Found Set date range in a report headers

This must be an easy one, though I can find no forum posts or examples in documentation/manuals....

I have created a found set using a date range.  I have created a layout to produce a report of new members for various clubs within the specified date range - that's all good.

In the layout header I would like to put something along the lines of:

"Club New or Renewed Memberships Between <then get the date range from that used for the Found Set>"

There must be a formula or something similar to achieve this, since this has to be commonly used scenario.

All advice much appreciated.

• 1. Re: Including a Found Set date range in a report headers
          davidhead

With respect, I don't think that a header of:

"Club New or Renewed Memberships Between 1/1...31/3"

actually reads that well. Do you? Because that would be the search criteria I wold be entering.

Personally, I would do it "properly" by asking the user to specify both the start and end dates (say in a custom dialog) and then grab those entries into say global fields and display in the header text.

• 2. Re: Including a Found Set date range in a report headers
            kitesurfer

Thanks.

I did say the Report header would be "something along the lines of...."

A bit more background then.  This is a report for me to generate and pass to a remote colleague to do something else with the numbers on it.  I'd like to keep it really simple.

Since I will have already run the query by entering the date range, I am wondering if I can produce a report layout where I don't necessarily need to enter the date range each time, and save a few seconds.

So being the user, I am specifying the start date and end date, as suggested, but in the Find view.

If there is no such simple way available, that's cool, its just nice to know - being a newbie to FMPro.

• 3. Re: Including a Found Set date range in a report headers
              davidhead

Sorry but I am not really understanding how you are going to generate the report and pass it to a remote colleague. Do you mean that you will create a PDF and send it to them? Or do you mean that you will write a script for them to run?

If I understand as in the first post, I would be writing a script that uses a custom dialog to grab the start and end dat of the find request so they can be used in the header of the report using merge fields.

• 4. Re: Including a Found Set date range in a report headers
                kitesurfer

I'll print it as PDF and email it to them.

Thanks, for me to get into scripting at this stage for this will take too long.  I think I'll simply edit the text in the report header each time, would take 5 - 10 seconds tops.  Quicker in the long run.

Thanks for your suggestions though, it all helps me get to grips with what's easy and what will take a little more invested time.

• 5. Re: Including a Found Set date range in a report headers
                  philmodjunk

Entering find criteria into global fields so that a script can use them to find your records leaves them available for inclusion in the header of your report as uLearnIT has suggested. (I prefer a search layout so I can format my date fields with drop down calendars and do format checking on a field by field basis, but a custom dialog with input fields will do the job.)

You can define two summary fields, one as the Maximum of your date field and one as the Minimum of your date field and you could then place these in your header. Just keep in mind that these dates may not exactly match the criteria you entered as they report the min and max dates found not the date range you specified.