AnsweredAssumed Answered

Incorporating Related Fields into a Calculation

Question asked by keebrook on Dec 13, 2012
Latest reply on Dec 14, 2012 by philmodjunk

Title

Incorporating Related Fields into a Calculation

I am wondering if it is possible to create a Calculation (or script, or conditional formatting...) that will notify me if related data meets certain criteria.

I have a "Students" table and a "Classes" table, joined by a "Student-to-Classes" table. I have a portal on the Classes page that lists all the Students registered for that class. What I would like is a notification to appear within that portal next to a student's name if they meet certain criteria. (I could settle for a notification on the Student's page as well.)

Criteria: A student must complete courses 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, & 6 OR courses 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, & 7 OR courses 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, & 8 OR courses 9, 6, 7, & 5 OR courses 9, 6, 7, & 8 in order to qualify for an Award.

When I register a student for the last class that fulfills one of the above criteria, I would like a notification to appear telling me to issue an Award. (once the award has been issued, I will mark a check box and make the notification disappear)

I have fiddled around with creating calculations in all three tables with a variety of "If" and "Case" statements but nothing seems to work. Is this even possible?

I am using Filemaker Pro 2011 on Mac. Thanks!!

Outcomes