6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 13, 2012 6:33 AM by joeprice99

Incorrect find results after converting to FMP12?

joeprice99

Title

Incorrect find results after converting to FMP12?

Hello:

I just converted a FMP11 file to FMP12.  When a script performs a find for an account number (match whole field), it includes a couple non matching records in the results.  If I perform the same find manually in find mode, the results are correct (these incorrect records don't show up).  It doesn't happen for all acct numbers.  If I delete one of the offending records and enter it new, it no longer shows up incorrectly in the scripted find.

It is possible this problem occurred before I converted, but I'm pretty sure i did not. 

Any thoughts?

Joe P

• 1. Re: Incorrect find results after converting to FMP12?
          philmodjunk

Is the account number a number field or a text field?

If it is a text field, is there any chance that there is more than one account number in the field? A return separating two values in the field could hide the second value from view if the field is only one line of text in height.

It is also possible that the index in the field is corrupted.

To rebuild the index of a single field:

1.           Open Manage | Database | Fields and double click the field
          3.           Use either the storage tab or the storage options button to turn off indexing.
          5.           Exit Manage | Database, then return and turn indexing back on.

You can also rebuild all your file's indexes by importing all the data into an empty copy (clone) of your file.

If you have FileMaker 11 or newer, you can use Advanced Recovery options to rebuild all of your file's indexes:

1.           With the file closed, select Recover from the File Menu.
          3.           Select "Use advanced Options"
          5.           Select only: "Copy File Blocks as-is" and "Rebuild Field Indexes Now".
          • 2. Re: Incorrect find results after converting to FMP12?
            joeprice99

PhilModJunk:

Thanks for the reply.  I did all of those things with no luck, so I played around a bit.  My original script was sorting the third duplicate of my table.  (I have 4 copies of the same table in my file).  I changed the perform find to search the original copy of the table and it appears to work fine. 

I kept changing it and I have found that if I search for the same unique account number,  table1 has one record in the find,  table2 has one record in the find, table3 has two records in the find, and table4 has zero records in the find.  They should all return one record. 

???

• 3. Re: Incorrect find results after converting to FMP12?
              philmodjunk

Please explain what you mean by "duplicate tables". Are these duplicate data source tables or duplicate table occurrences?

And how are you searching them? On separate layouts, each based on a different table or table occurrence?

• 4. Re: Incorrect find results after converting to FMP12?
                joeprice99

Please explain what you mean by "duplicate tables". Are these duplicate data source tables or duplicate table occurrences?

duplicate table occurrences

And how are you searching them? On separate layouts, each based on a different table or table occurrence?

Only one layout base on the original occurance.

• 5. Re: Incorrect find results after converting to FMP12?
                  philmodjunk

Only one layout base on the original occurance.

And that can make a big difference in your results.

When you perform a find on that layout, but specify criteria in a different occurrence of the table, you are telling FileMaker: "find all records in the orignal table occurrence that have at least one related record in the specified table occurrence". Once the find has been performed and you return to browse mode, all related records from related tables--not just those matching your criteria are displayed.

• 6. Re: Incorrect find results after converting to FMP12?
                    joeprice99

Aha!  That's it.  Thank you very much!