8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 19, 2011 10:16 AM by NadiaAdona

Incorrect Find results using Check Boxes

NadiaAdona

Title

Incorrect Find results using Check Boxes

Hello all!

I recently upgraded from Filemaker 6 to Filemaker 11. (I know...yikes!)  It was a harrowing process and I think it is causing a few bugs that I'm still discovering.

I have a set of checkboxes tracking magazine subscriptions.  While searching for subscribers, and clicking a box (let's say "issue#1, 2011") the search is coming up "Item not found". However, when I use a different way of searching (through accounting records) I see that the check box for Issue #1, 2011 is actually checked!     

I hope this isn't confusing. Help is greatly appreciated!

• 1. Re: Incorrect Find results using Check Boxes
          philmodjunk

Hmmm, check boxes are exactly the same in FileMaker 5.5 through 11, but the indexing on which finds, sorts and relationships are based has changed. "Punctuation characters" that were formerly ignored are not ignored anymore.

Exactly how are you searching for records where this value has been checked? Enter find mode and click the box? If so, is this a field of type text or of type number? (Should be of type text.)

If this is not how you are searching out records, please describe what you are attempting to do in more detail.

• 2. Re: Incorrect Find results using Check Boxes
            NadiaAdona

Thank you for taking my question!

I'm searching for these records exactly how you described above:  I'm entering Find Mode and clicking the box. That's it.  This is a text field type, which was indexed.

• 3. Re: Incorrect Find results using Check Boxes
              philmodjunk

Check to make sure that the values in your check box field value list exactly match the values entered into the field. If there's a comma missing, for example, your FileMaker 6 search may have worked but your FileMaker 11 search will fail.

• 4. Re: Incorrect Find results using Check Boxes
                NadiaAdona

I don't see any differences in the values, but I do wonder if having the "#" symbol in the field text is causing the problem. You mentioned certain punctuation text no longer being ignored. Could this be a factor?

• 5. Re: Incorrect Find results using Check Boxes
                  philmodjunk

Aha! I don't have 6, but I do have an old copy of 5.5. When I open an old file, enter find mode and check the operators, I find that # is a wildcard operator for a numeric digit in Filemaker 11, but it is not found in the list of wild card operators for 5.5. I'm pretty sure it wasn't an operator in FileMaker 6 either.

Due to that # symbol, FileMaker is interpreting "issue#1" as the text "issue" followed by a numeric digit followed by the digit 1. Since that criteria doesn't match any of the values in your check box, no records are found.

The challenge here will be to fix it. You may want to use Replace field contents with a calculation to remove the # character from all selected values in this field and then edit your value list to match.

You can keep the # symbol, but perform finds where you enclose your criteria in quotes. You can't do this directly with your checkbox set, but it is something you can do in a script.

• 6. Re: Incorrect Find results using Check Boxes
                    NadiaAdona

It looks like that the "#" was the problem. Would I lose my values if I went into the value list and deleted the "#" from the text? I'm not very savvy with working the scripts to do what you're suggesting above.

• 7. Re: Incorrect Find results using Check Boxes
                      philmodjunk

Editing the value list does not change the data actually stored in the field. After removing the #, your check box fields will appear empty as the data in the field no longer matches the values defined in the value list. You'll need to edit the data in the field and also edit the value list to match the new values.

You will likely need to place a new copy of this field, but with the checkbox formatting removed next to the original field as a temporary measure so that you can successfully use Replace Field Contents to modify the values entered into this field. (And make lots of back up copies of your file so that if you make a mistake, you can toss the current file and try again with a back up copy.)

• 8. Re: Incorrect Find results using Check Boxes
                        NadiaAdona

Thank you very much! This seems to be working for me and I'm now able to replace the field text without the # symbol.  You have been very helpful!

LaughingLaughingLaughingLaughing