4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 19, 2013 7:05 AM by philmodjunk

Incorrect results using value lists in searches

FrankBugeja

Title

Incorrect results using value lists in searches

Hello all

I am using FMP12.

I have a field called SELECTIONS which is linked to a value list with 5 values (as checkboxes): Option 1, Option 2, Option 3, Option 4 & Option 5.

If a do a search on SELECTIONS and click the Option 1 and Option 2 checkboxes, the results should be records where only the Options 1 and 2 checkboxes have been clicked.

However, I am getting incorrect results. I am getting records where Option 1 has been clicked and Option 2 has NOT been clicked. Deleting that record and re-entering it does not solve the problem.

Any help on why this is happening and a solution would be appreciated!

Frank

• 1. Re: Incorrect results using value lists in searches
          symbister

This is a problem that took me a moment to solve - I suggest that you have your entries in the VL without spaces - for example use 'Option.1' not 'Option 1' 

• 2. Re: Incorrect results using value lists in searches
            ShaneCormier

I'm having the same issue.

I have age ranges as values, such as 20, 20, 40, 50 etc... If a client is 20's and 30's and both are selected, when i do a secrch, unless I select 20's and 30's  only the ones with both selected will show up. I will have to do a separate search for 20's and another for 30's. 

Another example is is some clients are onlt 20's and not 30's  the 20's won't show up unless they're also selected as 30's. It just makes me do another search, which is time consuming. Anyone suggestions? The above mentioned suggection didn't work, mine have no spaces in it.

• 3. Re: Incorrect results using value lists in searches
              FrankBugeja

Thanks smybister for your response but removing the spaces did not work.

I am thinking that it is a fmp 12 bug. My database was first developed in fmp 8 then converted for fmp 12. Searches with value lists created under fmp 8 work correctly but searches with value lists created after the database was converted to fmp 12 are not working. 

Frank

• 4. Re: Incorrect results using value lists in searches
                philmodjunk

Try this experiment:

Make a copy of your checkbox formatted field on your layout and remove the check box formatting by returning it to edit box format.

Now click on checkboxes, and be sure to click the same check boxes in different orders. Use the Edit box to observe what data is actually stored in the field.

Also, if you've ever changed the values in you value list, look for data in this field that no longer matches any values in your value list. Such values will be hidden by the value list, but the data is still in the field and can affect your find results.

Finally, you'll need to decide what results you want from your find. If you select Value1 and Value2 from your value list, do you want all records with Value1 AND Value2 or do you want all records with Value1 OR Value2?

Frank here has described wanting the And result and Shane has requested an Or result so your issues are not the same here.

For an example of using a script to do an OR search using a checkbox field, see the follow on post in this thread: Scripted Find Examples

@Frank, I suggest posting the actual values of your value list that you are using in your search as that may provide a clue.