AnsweredAssumed Answered

Increment serial number separately for each model?

Question asked by MichelleH on Oct 3, 2013
Latest reply on Oct 4, 2013 by MichelleH

Title

Increment serial number separately for each model?

Hi, I'm brand new to FileMaker and trying to figure out how to automate a customer's existing serial numbering scheme.

They sell several different models of knife, each model having a different alpha-numeric code, such as A1, A2, B5, B12, etc.  Each individual knife should be assigned a serial number that increments based on the model.  So the A1 knives are numbered A1-1, A1-2, A1-3, etc, and the B5 knives are numbered B5-1, B5-2, B5-3, etc.  Each time a new knife is entered into inventory, the user should be able to enter which model type it is, and the system should generate a serial number that increments from the highest serial number used so far for that knife model.

What is the best way to set up such an autonumbering scheme?  Note that I am NOT trying to make this serial number my primary key for anything...I know what a bad idea that would be.

I apologize if this question has been answered already, and I'd appreciate a link to such a post if that's the case. I did several searches and didn't find anything matching my problem.

Outcomes