1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 18, 2013 8:46 AM by philmodjunk

Indenting a field basted on the contents of another field

BillPlunkett

Title

Indenting a field basted on the contents of another field

I have a pretty standard budgeting app and I bet someone has a solution to this issue.

I have a table of budget line items with both detail records with budget amounts and a some records that are group dividers.  Such as the following:

Operating Income

Sales

Widget items        $50.00

I have a filed in the table to identify the indent level as H1 for the Operating Income line, H2 for the Sales line and DD for the detail line.  

In a report, how can I casue the description field to indent based on the value of a different field.  I thought maybe conditional formatting could be used but doesn't seem like it.  Thought about 3 different description fields then how would you select which one to print.

Anyone have a soultion to this?

thanks, bill

• 1. Re: Indenting a field basted on the contents of another field
          philmodjunk

There are a number of options, but can't tell enough about the structure of your tables and relationships to know if any of them will work for you. Off hand, I think that changes to the structure of those tables, relationships and your layout design would eliminate the issue altogether by using sub summary layout parts to produce sub headers here.

That said, one way to selectiving indent a field is to put a field to the left of it that's a calculation field that returns different numbers of the tab character based on the value of another field. The visible field would then be set to "slide left" or might be put as a merge field in the same block of layout text as the first field. Note that sliding fields only "slide" in preview mode or when printed/PDF'd.