4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2014 3:34 PM by MatthewIaniro

Indents in a Calculation

MatthewIaniro

Title

Indents in a Calculation

Sorry if this is not exactly clean or correct way of data fields, I'm still learning.

I'm trying to make the (Benefits) field indent, because I'm using a bullet then a (tab) in the features description. (the bullet and tab is manually inputted / typed in the field). Note in the (benefits) field I got more than 1 line of text. 

So example of my calculation 

If ( IsEmpty ( Features 1 ) ; "" ;  TextStyleAdd( TextSize( TextFont( TextColor( Features 1; RGB( 138 ; 34 ; 26 ) ); "Arial Bold" ) ; 10) ; Uppercase)  &  ¶ )  &

If ( IsEmpty ( Benefits 1 ) ; "" ;  TextSize( TextFont( TextColor( Benefits 1; RGB( 0 ; 0 ; 0 ) ); "Arial" ) ; 9) &  ¶ ) & ¶  &  ¶  & 

If ( IsEmpty ( Features 2 ) ; "" ;  TextStyleAdd( TextSize( TextFont( TextColor( Features 2; RGB( 138 ; 34 ; 26 ) ); "Arial Bold" ) ; 10) ; Uppercase)  &  ¶ )  &

If ( IsEmpty ( Benefits 2 ) ; "" ;  TextSize( TextFont( TextColor( Benefits 2; RGB( 0 ; 0 ; 0 ) ); "Arial" ) ; 9)  &  ¶ )

So the result turns out something like this

•(tab)SUPER PERFORMANCE (feature 1)

The description of why its has super performance (benefit 1)

•(tab)EASY TO USE (feature 2)

The description of why its easy to use (benefit2)

What I would like to achieve is the benefits field to also indent in so it lines up with the text and not the bullet.

(example of what I would like)

•(tab)SUPER PERFORMANCE (feature 1)

•(tab)EASY TO USE (feature 2)

The description of why its easy to use (benefit 2)

I haven't quite figured it out or if its even possible to do in a calculation.

• 1. Re: Indents in a Calculation
          philmodjunk

Put a tab character in front of the first word of the benefits field. Char ( 9 ), BTW can be used to include a tab character in a text calculation.

And please note that you can use the Inspector's Appearance tab to set tab stops for this field.

Another idea that might simplify things would be to use a related table of features, benefits instead of individual fields named Feature 1, Benefit 1, Feature 2, Benefit 2...

• 2. Re: Indents in a Calculation
            MatthewIaniro

I made some updates to my wording, sorry I should of proof read better.

Well I understand char ( 9 ) a bit and also option+tab on mac. And I also know how to set where tabs and indents stop in the Inspector.

But usually in the (benefits) field I got more than 1 line of text. I should of said this to begin with.

So all those extra lines of text turn out like this

•(tab)SUPER PERFORMANCE (feature 1)

gibberish gibberish gibberish gibberishgibberish gibberish gibberish

gibberish gibberish gibberish gibberishgibberish gibberish gibberish

Which clearly I want all those lines to indent / tab over

•        SUPER PERFORMANCE (feature 1)

gibberish gibberish gibberish gibberish gibberish gibberish

gibberish gibberish gibberish gibberish gibberish gibberish

gibberish gibberish

Or I'm not understanding your answer

• 3. Re: Indents in a Calculation
              philmodjunk

No, that's a new detail that you left out of your original post, but if you play with the Indents section of the Inspector's Appearance tab, you can do this:

Specify a Left indent equal to the tab stop you've specified for the tab after the bullet character. Then specify a negative value for the first line indent that puts the first line out at the left edge of your field again.

Then remove the tab character that I suggested that you add if you went ahead and added it.

But I'd still consider using a related table for this data.

• 4. Re: Indents in a Calculation
                MatthewIaniro

That worked perfectly.

- ... didn't know you could put - (negatives) in the idents and tabs.

Now I'm gonna work on making that related table data.