AnsweredAssumed Answered

indirect go to field

Question asked by doncarp_1 on May 15, 2011
Latest reply on May 16, 2011 by aammondd

Title

indirect go to field

I am relatively new as a FMPro script writer. While I think the "go to next field" and "go to previous field" are a great help for my script, it is driving me nuts that these two script steps would exist WITHOUT one to set the field focus by calculation in a script step. Can someone give me explicitly a script step(s) to set the field focus to a field whose name is contained in the variable $FldName as text?

For reference, I have a table of 1400 field records which contain multiple parameters for each record and need to be parsed out to a related table. It took me some time to discover that I had to copy to a variable any field I wanted to transfer and then create a new field in a new related table by setting it with the variable. Since I know all the respective field names, I could have written a book length script to do this, but silly me, I thought it would be easier to just use some indirect addressing in a generic script and set up a list of the fields I wanted to transfer to use as indirect values inside the loop.  The go to next field made that loop quite elegantly simple, but GAWD HELP ME I then spent the next week squeezing any and every Filemaker resource I could find to figure how to set the field focus indirectly. No doubt there is a simple, easy, well documented solution to this obvious script step need, especially since the FMP programmers saw the need to give me the next field and previous field steps. 

Don

in Houston

Outcomes