2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2009 5:46 PM by CountryBoy1

Indirect Lookup?

CountryBoy1

Title

Indirect Lookup?

In Table_1, fieldA is a key to a similar field in Table_Of_Info.  Any
      lookups in Table_of_Info for Table_1 work fine.

In Table_2, fieldB is set up as Table_1::fieldA. (It must always be the
      same value as fieldA in Table_1. The two tables are keyed through a
      common Index key).  If I make a relationship having fieldB of Table_2
      also being a key to the similar variable in Table_Of_Info,
      no lookups in Table_2 work.

Is there some way to get around this ?

• 1. Re: Indirect Lookup?
          Jens Teich
             If you want to apply a lookup to a field then the triggering key field has to be an indexable field in the same table.

In your example there is no stored key field in table B which can trigger lookups in that table.

Jens

• 2. Re: Indirect Lookup?
            CountryBoy1

Dear Jens:                                                Jan. 12th, 2009

Thanks for your reply.  I guess you can't define a key where it is

stored as a related value from another table.  However, I did discover

that if I use the Table_1 to Table_of_Info relationship for defining fields

in Table_2, I can actually get the values that I need.  This may  not be

exactly proper to do this.  I think what happens is that Table_1 and
              Table_2 are related through the Index values (through the Main_Table)

and Table_2 is related to the Table_of_Info through Field_A.  Evidently

Filemaker tracks down the needed value using the two relationship paths.

I notice that if Field_A in Table_2 is changed, sometimes I need to refresh

Table_2 to update the Field_B value.