8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 10, 2010 1:07 PM by ahl

Inexperienced user is stuck with missing table error

ahl

Title

Inexperienced user is stuck with missing table error

I am using FmPro 7 on Windows 2000.

I have created a database with 1 table and 1 set of fields whilst tinkering with it I have lost the association between the fields and the table before I could backup.

When I open the database I cannot enter any info as i get the error message: table missing.

when I go to the define database menu the table is there on the table page and shows the right number of fields and the 2 test records. The fields are also there on the fields table . The Table name is correct at the top of the fields page.

I cannot enter data and cannot create new layouts as I get the table missing error message.

On the relationship page the database appears as an icon in the window.

I am stuck and have spent 2 days trying to sort this out.

Any help would save me having to rebuild a new database. Many thanks

ahl

• 1. Re: Inexperienced user is stuck with missing table error
          LaRetta_1

Is this table an external file?  If so, go To File > Define > External Data Source and check the reference to it.

If it is a table within the same file, double-click your icon box (representing the table) in your graph.  Where does it point?  You may need to re-point it to the right table.  You may also need to select each field, double-click them and re-point them to the correct table occurrence you fixed in your graph. 

• 2. Re: Inexperienced user is stuck with missing table error
            ahl

Thank you for your rapid reply.

The table is in the same file and the only one there, it shows up as an icon with the fields listed in the relationship box but I am unable to double click each field as the program then asks to specify the table which I hae already done.

The table box shows the name in the table column, the right no of fields& records in the statistics column,the right name in the occurences column but

The field box shows all the right fields but the calculations fields (such as full name) show: 

from <unknown>,-<Field Missing>

I have somehow either lost the file association link or have deleted the table although it shows up on the table list.

Am I being thick or is this reppairable?

• 3. Re: Inexperienced user is stuck with missing table error
              philmodjunk

Try this: Enter layout mode and select Layout Setup... from the layouts menu. Check to see what is in the "show records from" box. I suspect you may need to reselect your table from this drop down.

That may fix your problem or you may  need to double click each field while in layout mode and  res-select the table.

• 4. Re: Inexperienced user is stuck with missing table error
                ahl

I have tried this as well but although I select the only table in the database I still  get the table missing error.

So it looks like I may have deleted the table although it still appears in the selection box.

Pity I spent some 12 hours organising it and assumed it was being backed up by the recover system.

Mant thanks for your efforts.

• 5. Re: Inexperienced user is stuck with missing table error
                  philmodjunk

What happens when you double click a field and reselect the table and field it is supposed to be?

As you have just discovered there is no "back up system" in filemaker. As a developer, you have to save frequent copies as you go.

• 6. Re: Inexperienced user is stuck with missing table error
                    ahl

Thanks Phil I always get the same table missing message.

So have learnt my lesson and am rebuilding my database the hard way, but saving a copy at interval.

one further question: I am having trouble with the syntax to use the if function in a text calculation

to get rid of an empty space in a label made up of several fields of adrees lines.

I use the formula in the Richard Coulombre book but this relates to much earlier versions

of FM .The help files have no examples is there a better place to look?

Also are the tables kept as seperate sub-files of the database?

Sorry to be asking such basic questions.

Alan

• 7. Re: Inexperienced user is stuck with missing table error
                      LaRetta_1

Stop! Do not rebuild!  If it's listed then it's there!

Go to your graph and find it.  Double-click the icon and respecify and then repoint your fields!

• 8. Re: Inexperienced user is stuck with missing table error
                        ahl

Hi LaRetta,

I will try again and have learnt quite a bit from this excursion off track.

Thank you all for the support.  Alan