Type::TypeID = TypeSet::TypeID
Set::SetID = TypeSet::SetID
You then have a portal to TypeSet on your Type layout?
What relationship did you define to limit the SetID list like you describe?
I have the relationship set up as described with the join table. My portal in the Type layout is set to TypeSet. My pulldown is pulling the IDs from the Set table. The odd thing is that in my portal (except for the one type record where it works), I get the hand icon over the pop-up menu field but the pop-up menu flat out does not work; not even a blank pop-up menu pops open.
Then I don't see where you have a "relational" value list. I assume it is set to list all SetID's from the set table?
The hand icon is typical of a layout object that is formatted as a button. Did you do that at some point here?
Check to make sure that the portal field formatted with the value list is TypeSet::SetID and not Set::SetID.
Yes, the value list is set to the SetID in the Set table and the field in the portal is TypeSet::SetID. The object layout was set up as a pop-up menu. I even just now deleted the field and re-inserted as a pop-up menu. I have also made sure it is in the first row (white background) of the portal field and not above or below the first row of the portal so that it shows up properly. Now with the old pop-up field deleted, the hand no longer shows up but shows up as an arrow but oddly still only works in the same Type record as before to the exclusion of the others.
The object layout was set up as a pop-up menu.
I don't know what that means. The TypeSet::SetID field should be formatted as either a pop-up menu. You can't set a layout up as a pop-up menu, but maybe that's just a typo.
Here's a detailed outline of what you should have. Check it over to see if there are any differences between your file and this list:
- In Layout Setup... Show records from displays "Type".
- In portal setup... Show records from displays "TypeSet".
- These names should exactly match the names of the table occurrence boxes in Manage | Database | Relationships where you have defined the many to many relationship.
- The field formatted as a pop up menu should be SetID and is selected from TypeSet. This table occurrence name should also match Portal Setup | Show Records from.
- In manage value lists, you've set up your value list with "use values from field" option and the "Show only related records..." option is NOT selected.
I have got every one of your points in place, double and triple checked) and still the SetID popup from TypeSet only works in one Type record and not the others. I think I will rebuild the layout from scratch and see what happens.