6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2014 11:17 AM by TSGal

insert a .PSD into an external open container

gethappy@happypc.com

Title

insert a .PSD into an external open container

using FMPA 12, I have a script that inserts images into a container.  it uses the "insert file" script step.  Works fine for most files, but it seems that a PSD file will not insert and returns a 734 error.  In the insert file options, I have ...

"All Files" with "*" extensions selected

Storage Option is "insert"

display is "content of file (when possible)"

Compression "never compress"

I am using Windows 7

• 1. Re: insert a .PSD into an external open container
          philmodjunk

Are you sure that you aren't using Insert Picture as your insertion method?

.PSD is a photo shop image, correct?

Looking up error code 734 in FileMaker help reveals that this code means: "This file type cannot be displayed as a picture".

• 2. Re: insert a .PSD into an external open container
            gethappy@happypc.com

hi .... thanks for your help.

yep ... very certain what I typed above ... insert file "all files" with "*" selected.

and yes, I know the error is 734, can not be displayed.  I don't understand the issue, which is why I'm posting here.  it should insert, but it isnt.

• 3. Re: insert a .PSD into an external open container
              philmodjunk

Does this happen with any .PSD file or just a specific .PSD file?

• 4. Re: insert a .PSD into an external open container
                gethappy@happypc.com

unfortunately any psd.  I also tried "import folder" and it basically skips over those records.  Just doesnt import the image into the container.  When I drag and drop i get an error "the file type could not be displayed as a picture.  It will be inserted and displayed as a file."  Similar to error 735, BUT ... no error is actually thrown so I dont think we can trap for it.  But ... in this case it still inserts the image and just doesnt have the interactive icon, but rather a generic icon.  

To me it looks like any filetype that FM doesnt recognize as an image ... it can't work with in the insert file or import folder script steps and therefore ignores it.  and ... since this is Windows ... I bet PSD's arent recognized by fm.

ugh...

• 5. Re: insert a .PSD into an external open container
                  philmodjunk

To me it looks like any filetype that FM doesnt recognize as an image .

Yet that shouldn't be an issue for Insert FILE which is supposed to insert a file or a reference to a file of any file type. The file type should not matter. That's why I asked if it was for only one file or all PSD files. I suggest posting an Issue Report about this over in Report an Issue. You can save retyping what we've done so far by posting a link to this thread as part of your issue report.

• 6. Re: insert a .PSD into an external open container
                    TSGal

Randy Mauro:

Thank you for your post.

I am unable to replicate the issue.  This is what I have done:

1. I created a database file "ContainerStorage.fmp12".  I created a Container field named "Container" and set storage to "Store container data externally"  with "Open storage".

2. I added a record, put my cursor in the Container field, pulled down the Insert menu and selected "File...".  I selected a .psd file, and the file icon was displayed in "Container"

3. I wrote a script that had the following script steps:
                            Go to Layout "ContainerStorage"
                            New Record/Request
                            Insert File [ ContainerStorage::Container ; <second filename.psd> ]

4. I executed the script, and the second PSD file icon appears in "Container".

-----

Try creating a second Container field with the same Open storage options.  See if you can manually insert the psd file, and if that works, then create a similar script to what I have in step #3 and execute it.  Does this work?

Any other information you can provide may help narrow down the possible cause(s).

TSGal
                         FileMaker, Inc.