4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 25, 2010 10:11 AM by FenixReign1

Insert a value list into a calculation field

typeleven

Title

Insert a value list into a calculation field

So i want to use a calculation field as a multi key for filtering with a relationship. Right now Im setting the claculation as : "home phone¶work phone¶cell phone"

Id rather have the calculation just get these values from a value list. can this be done?

• 1. Re: Insert a value list into a calculation field
          mrvodka
             Have you seen the ValueListItems ( ) function?
          • 2. Re: Insert a value list into a calculation field
            FenixReign1

I have tried this for my database.... it doesn't work.

Have a table with Employee Information with fields:

Name

Employee#

Dept#

Dept Name

UnitNature

Printer1

Printer2

Printer3

Printer4

Then I have a table Printer Selection:

Printers -> Calc field as:  ValueListItems("Employee Information::printer1(paragraph symbol)Employee Information::printer2Employee Information::printer3(paragraph symbol)Employee Information::printer4(paragraph symbol)")

then I have a field in my main table as a popup menu with the value list pointing to my calc field.

shows "no values defined"  What am I missing?

• 3. Re: Insert a value list into a calculation field
              mrvodka

This doesnt make any sense. You should have a printers table. What is the objective here? Is is to assign a default printer to each employee?

• 4. Re: Insert a value list into a calculation field
                FenixReign1

forgive my wording.... I'm fairly new at this, and this is my first "major" project.

each employee can have up to 4 printers assigned to them.  What I'm trying to do is based on what they have assigned in the employee information table, I want that data to reflect on the inventory signout layout when they get supplies for their printer.

so I want printer1, printer2, printer3, printer4 to beconverted into a value list for each employee based on what the field values are for each.

then on the signout layout, when I seelct the employee, there can be either a drop-down, pop-up, or even a checkbox set, of those printers for the selected employee. so that I can signout supplies for the selected printers for them.