1 2 3 Previous Next 42 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2012 12:16 PM by JeffreyFort

Insert an Image

JeffreyFort

Title

Insert an Image

I visit 3 facilities and visit patients. I create a visit record for each patient and visit. Each of the facilities has its own logo. There is a location field to identify the facility for each patient. Is it possible to have the logo for each facility inserted into the record according to the facility. Can it then be fixed for that record? This is just a flat file data base. As currently set up it is way too easy to have a patient at facility A to show on a form/record for facility B.

• 1. Re: Insert an Image
          philmodjunk

Yes, but your database design will no longer be "flat file".

You'd need a separate table of facilities with their logos stored in container fields. With a relationship based on facility ID, then you can select a facility from a drop dow list or pop up menu and the Logo stored in that facility record can then be displayed on the layout.

• 2. Re: Insert an Image
            JeffreyFort

Thanks. Now let me ask an even dumber question. I have created a Patient Info DB and set up the relationships to the Visit DB. I drew lines from one to the one so that it knows which field is related to which. I created a "Identifier" field. I have records in the Patient Info DB. Let's say record one there has an identifier of "FO1001". If I put that same value into that field in the Visit DB, shouldn't all the related info come over automatically? How does the info come over? Do I have to create a new record and do a lookup? If so, I don't know how to do a lookup

• 3. Re: Insert an Image
              philmodjunk

Instead of a human entered identifier, I suggest you define an auto-entered serial number field in Patient info to match to a field in Visit. This avoids issues that can complicate your life when an identifier is entered incorrectly, related records are added and then you try to correct it.

Once you have defined your reltionship, you can go to the layout for Visit and add any fields you need from Patient Info to the Visit layout. When you enter or select a PatientID on a visit record, the data from the related patient info record will appear in these fields.

• 4. Re: Insert an Image
                JeffreyFort

Phil,

Thanks for your help. With it, the light went on this mornning. I now have a patient info DB and a facility DB. With the relationships established, the reports I am looking for are being produced. Very cool! Now the only problem (isn't there always one?) that my "find patient" and "find facility" scripts, which are very simple, don't work after all kinds of trial and error. I have a "question layout" that asks for the criterion and it finds the subset, but if I then add "go to the specified layount" the defined subset is not there. I am perplexed.

• 5. Re: Insert an Image
                  JeffreyFort

I think is is because on my "Visit" layout the fields that I am seaching on come from a different database.

• 6. Re: Insert an Image
                    philmodjunk

I recommend not using the term 'database' in the posts to this forum unless you add extra explanations as to what you mean. A database could consist of one table or many tables. It could consist of one file or many files and each of these files can have one table or many.

In your case, you have two tables, each with a table occurrence box in Manage | Database | Relationships, with matching names. (FileMaker created the boxes for you.) You also have two layouts with these names. If you enter layout mode and check layout setup.... you'll find the name of one of your table occurrence boxes selected in the "show records from" drop down. Thus each layout refers to a specific table occurrence box, which in turn refers to a specific table. (It's set up this way because you can add additional table occurrence boxes that refer to the same table and you can also add more layouts that refer to the same or different table occurrences. This approach makes it possible to set up lots of different ways to work with your data.)

What's key for your search scripts is that if you perform a find on the Patient Info layout, you will pull up a group of patient info records and if you perform a find on a Visits layout, you will pull up a group of visits records. What you do on one layout will not affect what records make up the found set on the other unless you create a script to specifically "synch" the two layouts.

You may want to learn about Portals, a very useful tool that can let you see and work with a list of visits records from the Patient Info layout. With that portal, you'll see and be able to create records just for the current patient info record so this can be an easy way to work with your visits records. Portals are documented in Filemaker help, so I'd look that term up as soon as possible if I were you.

• 7. Re: Insert an Image
                      JeffreyFort

Thank you so much for your help. I am fumbling through. I have used FM for at least 20 years. Starting when it was only flat file, I have always been able to use flat file for the mostly simple things I do. What I would call a database is a separate file. I have three separate files: Visits, Patients and Facilities. No problem on my 27" iMac, but the goal is to do this on an iPad. I will have to look into the portal tool you mentioned.  Again, thank you

• 8. Re: Insert an Image
                        philmodjunk

I suggest that you not use separate files as the design issues are a bit easier to deal with if you keep the tables in a single file.

• 9. Re: Insert an Image
                          JeffreyFort

if the data fields are all in the same file, won't they all show in File>Manage>Database? A Table is just a subset of fields and there are multiple Tables in one file? Seems like same old flat file I used to do.

• 10. Re: Insert an Image
                            philmodjunk

Far from it. Your old flat files had a single table in each file. You established relationships between tables by linking their files. Since the release of FileMaker 7, we have been able to define multiple tables in one file. Each table has a completely separate set of defined fields and you can set up multiple relationships and layouts that refer to each of these tables all from within one file.

In Manage | database | Fields, you'll find a drop down where you select a table in order to see it's fields. Select a different table, get a different set of fields. On the Relationships tab, you can link them in relationships and on the Tables Tab, you can add or remove tables as needed.

This eliminates the need to maintain multiple files. (Some of my 5.5 version solutions had more than 50 files and had to close some files before others could be opened due to the 50 files open at one time limit.)

A single set of accounts and passwords can be used to control access to your system where with multiple files, you must define the same accounts and passwords in each file. Using the information in the current record in one table to work with data in another table is also much simpler when you have it all in one file.

There are very good reasons to develop solutions that consist of more than one file, but these are "more advanced" type solutions designed to meet specific needs that justify the additional work needed to support them as a multi-file database system.

• 11. Re: Insert an Image
                              JeffreyFort

I further confuse Tables with a layout. What's the difference? How are Tables within a file created?

• 12. Re: Insert an Image
                                philmodjunk

How are Tables within a file created?

Open manage | Database | Tables

You'll find controls for creating tables that are much like those used to create new fields on the fields tab.

Let's say you create a new table: PatientPhoneNumbers. After creating the table on the tables tab, click the fields tab and there you can define fields for the new table.

Click the relationships tab. There, you'll find a "box" named PatientPhoneNumbers that FileMaker created for you when you created the table. This box will have the same name as your table, but it's actually a different object. It's a "table occurrence" and you link it to other table occurrences such as the one for PatientInfo, to define relationships. The thing to keep in mind is that you are not limited to one table occurrence for a given table. You can add more in order to define more relationships between the same two tables by using additional 'boxes' to do so.

Now click Ok to dismiss Manage | Database. Enter layout mode. Pull down the layouts menu in the status area. You'll find that a new layout named PatientPhoneNumbers has been added. Select it to bring up that layout.

Now Select Layout Setup... to bring up the dialog box of that name. You'll find that there's a drop down list of "tables" labeled "show records from". This list is really the list of table occurrences found on that relationships tab. Note that you can select a different table occurrence here and then your layout named "patientPhoneNumbers" no longer refers to fields from the table of the same name. The reason you select a table occurrence here is that this set's up not only what set of records can be directly viewed on the layout, it then identifies what set of relationships will be used to control access to the other tables in your database.

You can create more than one layout that refers to the same table. You can, for example, create a "New Patient" layout that specifies your "PatientInfo" table and uses all the fields you need to log in a new patient. A second layout to PatientInfo can then be set up with a portal to visits that only lists a few fields from PatientInfo. This portal is a kind of "window" that lets you see and work with visits records for the patient whose record is the current PatientInfo record on the layout.

If you want to learn more about table occurrences, see this thread: Tutorial: What are Table Occurrences?

• 13. Re: Insert an Image
                                  JeffreyFort

OK. I now have 3 tables: Visits (38 fields), Patients (6 fields) and Facilities (3 fields). I have set up relationships using Patient ID and Facility ID so that data can come onto the Visit table (which is really a form). Now I have a problem. Only six fields on the Visit form get data from the other tables. 32 fields on the Visit form are simply input on the form and are unique to the new record. However, in layout mode, these fields now show as "<table missing>" and if I delete the field and try to insert a field it doesn't "see" the Visit table or its fields to insert it. Now I have taken 3 steps backward. How can I simply insert a field that is unique to the Visit table/form?

• 14. Re: Insert an Image
                                    JeffreyFort

all the fields I am trying to insert show "::field name" as if looking for a related table. there is no related field for the field i need to insert. Am I clearr?

1 2 3 Previous Next