AnsweredAssumed Answered

Insert one db into another. Help needed.

Question asked by MEh on Sep 29, 2011
Latest reply on Sep 29, 2011 by philmodjunk

Title

Insert one db into another. Help needed.

Hi everyone,

I'm currently using Bento but I am making the switch to Filemaker Pro now. I just started exploring FMP and I am trying to re-create a database I made using Bento.

it's a db of my fav soccer team. I have one db with all players and their data and I got one db with all matches of the team with results.

In Bento I included the matches db into the players db so that on every single player record I can see all matches played. If a player scored a goal in that particular match, I can put a mark next to the match he scored a goal. In Bento I used a so called "related records" field. The matches show up as a sheet and I can set which columns I want to show and hide. Because I don't need all columns from the matches db, I 've hidden the ones I don't need. Besides that I can add custom columns to the sheet (which are not fields in the matches db) so this is where I mark how many goals the particular player has scored in that particular match.

Now I've created both a players db and a match db in Filemaker but I can't seem to figure out how to make the matches show up in each player record. That's the first step. The ssecons one will be adding fields to mark if a player has scored in the particular match.

I hope I made myself clear (English is not my native language) and I hope someone can point me in the right direction.

What I already tried is Insert - Portal - Show related reccords from.... Because the matches db is an unrelated table (there's no relation between the players db and the matches db), I can't select it (all unrelated tables are greyed out). Then I did a little test with a related db but then I can't find how I can get the fields of the db to show up in my records. But maybe Insert - Portal isn't the right way to accomplish what I want.

So some help is needed here. I hope someone is willing to help me out. I figured if it's possible in Bento, it should be in Filemaker Pro too.

Thanks for your help

Meh

Outcomes