3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 22, 2010 9:47 AM by philmodjunk

Insert Record

ChrisHowe

Title

Insert Record

I used Paradox before Filemaker Pro and used to be able to insert a new record right on the part of the table I was working on.  Can that be done?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Insert Record
          philmodjunk

Yes,

There's a keyboard shortcut to start a new record. (ctrl-N for windows, command N for Mac)

In table view, you can also click the + at bottom lower left of the screen

In a portal with the "allow creation..." option specified for it's relationship, you can just start typing data into the bottom blank row to create a new related record.

You can also add buttons for this to your layouts.

• 2. Re: Insert Record
            ChrisHowe

I'm trying to open up vertical space between rows.  I can't believe Paradox was so handy at doing this.

• 3. Re: Insert Record
              philmodjunk

Between rows of a portal, a list view or a table view?

Filemaker displays unsorted records in their creation order in all three cases.

If you need to insert a record into a specified order, you need to keep your records sorted. Then you can use a script with a button that creates the new record and assigns a value to the record's sort field that inserts it into this established order at the desired spot.

Say you sort your records by the field SerialNumber--an auto entered serial number.

Then this script will insert the record into the order of a list or table view layout immediately above the row where you clicked the button.

Set Variable [$ID1 ; If ( Get ( RecordNumber ) = 1 ; 0 ; GetnthRecord ( YourTable::SerialNumber ; Get ( RecordNumber ) - 1 ) ) ]
              Set Variable [$ID2 ; YourTable::SerialNumber]
              New Record/Request
              Set Field [YourTable::SerialNumber ; ($ID1 + $ID2 ) / 2 ]
              Sort [Restore ; No Dialog ] // not needed if records are already sorted by SerialNumber