3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 17, 2011 9:42 AM by philmodjunk

Inserting Charts/Spreadsheets into a FM Entry

KeeganYaroch

Title

Inserting Charts/Spreadsheets into a FM Entry

Is there any way to include spreadsheets or insert a chart in a FM entry? We often include formulations in our FM records but the formatting often gets messed up (especially when you zoom in and out). I would like to be able to insert a spreasheet with varying numbers of columns and rows so that I don't have to deal with tabbing over all the time to make sure things are aligned properly. 

• 1. Re: Inserting Charts/Spreadsheets into a FM Entry
          philmodjunk

It may help to explain this one in more detail.

Using FileMaker 11, you can create simple charts.

You can also use table view to display data in rows and columns with the Modify button an option for controlling which columns are visible and where they are positioned.

Not sure where you have an issue where you have to "deal with tabbing over all the time to make sure things are aligned properly".

That sounds like you are entering columns and rows of data into a text field--which sounds like a less than optimum method for organizing and displaying data better entered into a Table of one record for each row and either different fields for each column or a related table for displaying the columns of data--though it is possible to set tab stops on a text field in FileMaker.

• 2. Re: Inserting Charts/Spreadsheets into a FM Entry
            KeeganYaroch

I have set the tab stops for all text fields...but when I adjust the view (by clicking on the little things that look like mountains on the bottom of the screen) and zoom in or out...often times my tabs get jumbled and the formulation looks like a mess.

Usually, when we enter things into a record...we will include a bunch of text (in a text box) which might be a procedure for something followed by the formulation. We don't ever really have just 1 formulation. Sometimes a record might contain 10 formulations with text in between.

Is there no way to insert a chart into a text field? I'm not sure there is a best way of achieving what I want since each record is completely different than another.

• 3. Re: Inserting Charts/Spreadsheets into a FM Entry
              philmodjunk

I think using a portal of related records will work better for you than trying to get this to work in a text field.

You can add a new record in the portal for each "formulation".

I realize that this won't be as "free form" as the single large text field, but it may still be your best option here.