4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 4, 2012 5:11 PM by zinny

Inserting data into a field so it appears in a check box

zinny

Title

Inserting data into a field so it appears in a check box

I have a feild that appears as a check box and as each item is completed it gets unticked (a simple to do list) but I want to be able to insert the values automatically when a new record is created.

if I use a set field with the value lists copied straight from the field

"Gopro
           Pen Cam
           EX
           Audio
           Winch
           Night
           Other"

the check box is empty

if I set field

"Gopro¶
           Pen Cam¶
           EX¶
           Audio¶
           Winch¶
           Night¶
           Other"

it shows "gopro" but no others

how do I set the field so that it shows all the checkboxes lit up?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Inserting data into a field so it appears in a check box
          philmodjunk

if I set field

"Gopro¶
                    Pen Cam¶
                    EX¶
                    Audio¶
                    Winch¶
                    Night¶
                    Other"

I've used that method a number of times and it should show the field with all those values selected in their corresponding check boxes. But the text between return characters must exactly match the text used for the values in the value list. A space after a name, for example, could keep the box from displaying as selected.

This can even be done with an auto-enter setting instead of needing a script.

However, if this is an edit box instead of a check box group and the field is only one line of text tall, it will only show the first value unless you click or tab into the field and then it will expand to show all the data in the field.

• 2. Re: Inserting data into a field so it appears in a check box
            zinny

Thanks phil, I just tried insert text as opposed to set field without the return symbols and that worked but auto enter is much more elegant

• 3. Re: Inserting data into a field so it appears in a check box
              philmodjunk

Set Field should work the same as Insert text. (I never use Insert text unless I have to, set field is almost always a better option.)

I'd use this expression if I wanted all the check boxes to be selected.

valueListItems ( get ( Filename ) ; "YourvalueListNameInQuotesHere" )

That way, if you change the values in the value list, this expression automatically uses the updated list of values.

• 4. Re: Inserting data into a field so it appears in a check box
                zinny

thanks, even better