4 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2011 8:37 PM by aammondd

Inserting data into a preexisting filemaker database.

MakerofFiles

Title

Inserting data into a preexisting filemaker database.

So each week I receive a file (i'm not sure what the extension is) that is able to be open in filemaker. When it opens, it has two fields. one for name and one for another set of information. 

Each week after I open the file, I have to create additional field with a drop down menu answering yes or no for each name in the database.

I then create a script that performs an action based on the name and rather or not the drop down menu has a yes or no answer. I know how to do all of these things just fine.

So here is my question: Instead of opening the weekly received file in filemaker and then creating the script, Can I just create a blank filemaker program with the script and extra "yes or no" field already in it. Then insert the weekly info with the data from the two extra fields into it?

Does this make sense? I think it essentially comes down to inserting data into an existing filemaker data base. Copying and pasting is obviously an option. But is there a way to just open the database with the script, and then populate the name fields with the info from the file

• 1. Re: Inserting data into a preexisting filemaker database.
          aammondd

Have you checked the tutorials about importing data

http://www.filemaker.com/products/demos/#recurring_import

You can import data from another FMP database (which is what this appears to be) So rather than recreating it every week you can just import the data into the table with the yes/no field already defined (and the script saved) and execute.

If you already do the script and field creation yes putting it into a blank file should be easy for you and is the way I would do it.

However you may want to be sure that the import data is all that is in the file you are receiving You may need to do some more work on your "blank" file (This would depend a lot on what your script is doing) 

• 3. Re: Inserting data into a preexisting filemaker database.
            MakerofFiles

So after following your advice, I was able to import the data and it worked great. Actually better than I thought. However, there is one more than thing that could make this solution absolutely perfect. 

I setup the reoccuring import as the video suggested. However, as mentioned above, I have an extra "yes or no" field in my data base that is not in the source file where I get my data from. Whenever I click the script that imports the source file, it erase all of my yes or no answers and I have choose them again. The "yes or no" field is still there, the answers have just been erased." Can I lock this field and have the data from the source field just placed alongside it?

• 4. Re: Inserting data into a preexisting filemaker database.
              aammondd

ok in the import dialog box you can set the import action to update matching records in found set in the area between source and target click the arrow on  names till it shows and equal sign 

the yes no field should see be set to dont import this field

then check the add remaining as new records box

this shouldnt overwrite your data.

If you use the recurring import in a script then you can preform a find at the end to find records that have no yes/no flag

only new records should be this way and your second field could have changed.