6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 27, 2010 2:42 PM by comment_1

Inserting Field names into text

action

Title

Inserting Field names into text

Hi,

I am trying to insert a field name into an email that I am sending.  I am able to insert it from the pulldown to the right.  However, after it is inserted, if I try to type in other text it is looking for a mathematical operator (+, -, *, etc).  I am just trying to do something simple like:

Hi (first name),

How are you?

How do I insert the first name so it works?

Thank You.

• 1. Re: Inserting Field names into text
          comment_1

Try:

"Hi " & Contact Management::Name_First & ",¶¶How are you?"

• 2. Re: Inserting Field names into text
            action

Hello,

Thanks for the response, but I am getting the same message.  Also, whenever I try and insert a field name into an email, it deletes all of my text and just inserts that field name.  For example:

Hi (first name),

When I try to do "Hi" and then insert first name from the pull down it leaves me with

Contact Management::Name_First  

Any ideas?

• 3. Re: Inserting Field names into text
              comment_1

Start by selecting "Specify Calculation…". In the subsequent formula box, type the formula as shown above. You can double click the field names in the top left area to insert them into your formula.

• 4. Re: Inserting Field names into text
                action

You got me a large part of the way there.  However, there is something about my string of text that keeps it from sending.  Here is the text.  Is there a problem with it?

"Hi " & Contact Management::Name_First & ",¶¶I am a Southern California based real estate appraiser and I focus on estates, trusts, probate, divorce, bankruptcy, etc.  Attached you will find  a monthly newsletter for my clients that addresses specific areas of interest to lawyers associated with these issues.  This issue covers the Appraisal Institute, and resources you can go to for valuation information.¶¶I work with many lawyers in Los Angeles and surrounding counties, and hope you find the information useful, and will consider us for your valuation requirements.¶¶Best Regards,¶¶Doug Wilson, SRA¶¶Action Appraisal¶¶AG038916"

• 5. Re: Inserting Field names into text
                  action

When I tested it with the smaller test from above that you suggested, it sent fine through the email.

Regards,

Action

• 6. Re: Inserting Field names into text
                    comment_1

action wrote:

there is something about my string of text that keeps it from sending.

I can't see any problem with it. What exactly does "keeps it from sending" mean? Do you get an error message, or what?