4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 29, 2011 9:50 AM by yomango

Inserting pictures using a Mac

yomango

Title

Inserting pictures using a Mac

Hello out there. My operating system is Windows, to insert pictures into  a database file I use a formula like the following: "imagewin:/C:/Documents and Settings/Pictures/" &Full Name & ".jpg". It works just perfect. Now, I want my sister in Australia to do the same but she has a Mac and she's not sure if the path she's using is the correct one, she writes... " imagewin:/afp://Mac Pro._afpovertcp._tcp.local/louis/Desktop/Pictures/"&Full Name & ".jpg" but does not work. I do not know anything about Mac OS. Can anybody help? Thank you

• 1. Re: Inserting pictures using a Mac
          philmodjunk

For starters, it would be ImageMac: rather than ImageWin:Wink

It might be better to just use Insert Picture to insert the image instead of spelling out the file path like this. Insert Picture will insert the picture (or a reference to it) without the need for entering the precise path and the path used will be consistent with the platform of the computer used to insert the picture.

• 2. Re: Inserting pictures using a Mac
            yomango

Thank you, we will try it. Although I believe the file starts getting too big.

• 3. Re: Inserting pictures using a Mac
              philmodjunk

You can use the "store a reference" option when inserting pictures. With this option, only a reference to the image file is inserted in the container field.

Note that if you have Windows and mac users sharing the same file, that ImageMac and ImageWindows distinction and the difference between drive letters and volume names can create problems as an image reference inserted from the Mac won't be visible to Windows users and vice versa.

It's possible to create a calculation field that checks the current platform (mac or windows) and uses the reference in the container field to calculate a platform specific version of that filepath. You'd insert image files into the container field using the Insert Picture option, then this calculation field (with "container" as its return type) can be used to display the picture to all users.

A webviewer can be set up with the same calculation to display "by reference" images inserted in a container field also.

• 4. Re: Inserting pictures using a Mac
                yomango

As always, thank you for your time and advise