3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2011 10:18 AM by philmodjunk

Inserting text into multiple fields

BenWhitehill

Title

Inserting text into multiple fields

I am helping create a database on filemaker that will function as a patients medical record.  Because we work in OB and most patients are not sick I want to create a button that will enter the same value into multiple fields.  I am new to scripting and would appreciate anyones help.

• 1. Re: Inserting text into multiple fields
          philmodjunk

There are many ways to do that depending on the exact structure of your data and one of the best ways to do it is to not enter the data in the first place but link to a record in a related table instead so that it is automatically displayed in multiple locations.

Please describe what you need to do in more detail and then we can make a suggestion more specific to what you are trying to do here.

• 2. Re: Inserting text into multiple fields
            BenWhitehill

We have a particular layout set up in our database that covers each body system so it looks a little like this:

Gastrointestinal  (drop down menu with "normal" or "see below")

GERD (drop down menu with "yes")

Obesity

Hepatitis

etc

There are several of these on the systems layout that we created covering repiratory, cardiovascular, renal and they are set up in a similar fashion.  I want to create a button that will fill in normal so the physician doesn't have to go to each drop down menu 

• 3. Re: Inserting text into multiple fields
              philmodjunk

One way is with a script:

You can put a series of set field steps together such as:

Set field [YourTable::Gastrointestinal ; "Normal"]
              Set Field [YourTable::GERD ; "Yes"]

A button or script trigger could run such a script and assign the desired value to as long a list of such changes as you need.

Another option to consider is to use the Auto-Enter | Data field option to enter the "Normal" option as the default value for each of these fields each time a new record is created. The physician would then modify only those fields where the patient is not normal.