8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2013 10:21 AM by byroningram

inserting video clips

byroningram

Title

inserting video clips

Hi,

I am trying to create a database for video clips using FMP 12.

I was wondering how you might be able to create a field that would display the video file so you could preview it without actually including the video clip within the FMP file.

Maybe something like a link that would 'play' on each record.

Any ideas on how I could do this?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: inserting video clips
          philmodjunk

Both container fields and web viewers can be used to "play" a video. Videos can be inserted as "store a reference" which then stores a link to the vido file without actually storing a copy of the file in the container field.

• 2. Re: inserting video clips
            byroningram

PhilModJunk

thanks PhilModJunk

But how do I do this, I go into manage database, then I select the field and make it a container but that seems to be as far as I can get with it.

And even when it is a container I can't select 'quicktime' or 'audio/video' it will only let me select 'picture' or 'file'

I know i'm missing a step I was hoping you could tell me which one it is.

Cheers,

Bman

• 3. Re: inserting video clips
              JimMac

In layout mode, select the container... use Inspector Data Tab... way down at bottom select interactive content box.

Jim....

• 4. Re: inserting video clips
                byroningram

thanks Jim,

do you know where I would go to make it previewable so it doens' t have to upload directly into the database?

I am afraid that by the time I load all of the clips I need to the database will crash.

Also do you know how big any one database can be?

Cheers

Bman

• 5. Re: inserting video clips
                  JimMac

See Phil's comment above.  I not sure about Previewable, but you can see the movie without "embedding" in you DB file.  For ease of back up, i would keep the movies and DB in same root directory.

Jim....

• 6. Re: inserting video clips
                    byroningram

ok... the problem is I don't even know where to begin to find out how to store a reference. I have checked out the uer manuel and I am going back to the forums.. any ideas?

Bman

• 7. Re: inserting video clips
                      philmodjunk

The option may not appear. It depends on the insertion method you selected.

If I pull down the insert menu in FileMaker 12 and select Insert QuickTime, I am not given the "by reference" option as this method will insert the video by reference automatically.

If I specify Interactive Content for the container field and select Insert Audio/Video, I get a check box I can select to specify this option:

• 8. Re: inserting video clips
                        byroningram

Hey Thanks a lot for the help guys!

Bman