AnsweredAssumed Answered

Install OnTimer Script Questions

Question asked by CarlaS on Mar 7, 2010
Latest reply on Apr 7, 2014 by AnthonyGiuliano

Title

Install OnTimer Script Questions

New to FM 10 - been in the dark ages of FM 5 for the last 10 years.  I'm trying to understand how the Install OnTimer Script works. 

What I am trying to do is to have the Install OnTimer Script to run a script called PIF Submission at regular intervals (probably every 300 seconds).  I have created the OnTimer Script:

Install OnTimer Script [ "PIF Submission" ; Interval: 300 ]

I can't figure out how to make the script fire.  The Script Steps Reference Guide says:

"Runs a specified script at the specified interval. Installs a single timer per window. After the specified interval has passed, the next time the application is idle, runs the specified script.  This step repeats until the window in which it is running closes or its options change. You can also halt the step by specifying another Install OnTimer Script script step for the window with no script specified."

I don't understand how to make this work.  Should I put the Install OnTimer Script in the Startup Script or do I attach the script to a button or an On Layout Load script trigger?  What do they mean by "installs a single timer per window" mean?  What window are they talking about?

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Carla 

BACKGROUND INFO:

We are using Filemaker Pro 10 Advanced and Filemaker Server 10 Advanced. Filemaker Server Advanced is running on a Windows PC server. We have about 25 Filemaker client users (both Mac & PC). We also have non-Filemaker client users for employees company wide to access a couple of layouts via Custom Web Publishing. Our company has been using this Filemaker database since 1998. I personally have been using Filemaker since the late 1980’s when it was called Claris Works. We just recently upgraded from Filemaker 5 to Filemaker 10 and are in the process of a major overhaul of the entire database. Records in the main table represent individual marketing jobs (usually print jobs - i.e. brochure, forms book, mailer, etc.). Then, we have about 18 related tables for tracking various aspects of a job through the production schedule, from job initiation to completion. It tracks milestone due dates, design specs, licensing information, inventory, distribution, costs, etc.

Outcomes