3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 29, 2012 9:41 AM by philmodjunk

Installing FMP 11, adding remote db to all users?

JasonWestbrook

Title

Installing FMP 11, adding remote db to all users?

Hello,

I was wondering if it was possible when installing Filemaker (Pro 11 in my case) to all user's on a given PC? 

When we install FMP on a PC for a user (under admin) it is typically for a user of that PC who will need to connect to a remote db. In our case, all users connect to the same remote db so I was wondering if it was possible to simply make that available for any user that logs into a PC? 

Thanks for your help!

Jason

• 1. Re: Installing FMP 11, adding remote db to all users?
          philmodjunk

Do you mean install the FileMaker Pro program on a client computer such that all user accounts on that computer can use the program?

When I install on windows, an option for that appears during the install process.

• 2. Re: Installing FMP 11, adding remote db to all users?
            JasonWestbrook

My apologies for not being clear. We can install Filemaker so any user can access the program, but when a new user logs on (or one that is using FIlemaker for the first time) they must add a favorite host to their list and then access the db from there. I'd like to cut out the step where the user must add a favorite host to the list and instead simply be able to open Filemaker for the first time and just see the db from there. Many of our users are novices when it comes to computers and it would be helpful to them if we could simply have the favorite host already in there for them. 

Thanks for the response! I appreciate it =). 

Jason

• 3. Re: Installing FMP 11, adding remote db to all users?
              philmodjunk

They should not need to add a favorite host.

They should be able to use Open Remote to find the server hosting the database. When they select the server, the hosted files should then be listed so that they can select and open one.

There are a number of methods that can be used to short cut this so that the user simply double clicks an icon on their desktop and it launches FileMaker and connects to the hosted database.

One way is to place a small fileMaker file on the desktop and put in the file a script that uses Open File to open the hosted file. Then you set file options in this file to automatically perform this script each time the file is opened.