1 2 Previous Next 24 Replies Latest reply on Aug 25, 2009 2:13 PM by TSGal

Instant Web Publishing

Mehrdad

Title

Instant Web Publishing

Hi Everyone

I am evaluating the FileMaker pro 10 and tried to use the Instant Web Publishing. When I turn this option on "Port conflict error shows up" in the tutorial it asks me to Press Advance option and change the port but my advance option is grayed out. I tried any port imaginable including 591 but I get  the same answer. Why my advance option is grayed out? I have admin rights to the file. I created other files and same problem. I reinstalled Filemaker also but I still have the same problem.

Help Please.

Thanks 

• 1. Re: Instant Web Publishing
          mrvodka

Take a look at this thread and try some of the things suggested.

http://forum-en.filemaker.com/fm/board/message?board.id=FM-en-4&message.id=17151

• 2. Re: Instant Web Publishing
            Mehrdad

Thanks for your reply

I read the thread very carefully but I was lost. I trun on the IWP but it gives me the error "FileMaker cannot share file over the web because of a port number conflict. Please configure web publishing to use another port" Change port Button and OK button. I tried 100 first time I used IWP and worked like a charm but I don't know what happened whan I tried it the second time nothing works.

I ran netstat -o to see what is using port 80, there is nothing on my computer using that port. I have no skyp or the other software you mentioned.

Now what?

• 3. Re: Instant Web Publishing
              TSGal

mehbastan:

We've had a few reports of users who cannot turn on Instant Web Publishing.  Changing the port to 591, disabling of firewall settings and virus detection software, iChat, Skype, etc. have not helped.  We are still trying to determine the cause for those few individuals.  It should be a simple process, and I know that doesn't help you.

Do you have access to another computer?  If so, can you install FileMaker Pro 10 trial and try to enable Instant Web Publishing?

Any additional information you can provide may be helpful in determining a solution.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: Instant Web Publishing
                Mehrdad

I Installed it on another computer in my network but got the same result. I can take it home and install it on my laptop at home to see if I get a different result.

Thanks

• 5. Re: Instant Web Publishing
                  Mehrdad

I downloaded the trial version again and upgraded to v10.2 at home on a different network but the result was the same. The advance option for the ports are dimmed and Filemaker asks for new port.

Once again, I don't have Skype or the other software you were mentioning. Even if that was the case I think the Advance option should have let me change the port to bypass the port that are used by Skype.

The laptop at home has Vista Ultimate OS and the one at work is XP Pro. The only software that they have in common is the antivirus By ESET called Nod 32 but I deactivated it to see if that is the problem however it didn't make a difference.

• 6. Re: Instant Web Publishing
                    philmodjunk
                       Your firewall may be blocking access. Check its settings and Filemaker's docuementation to make sure you have the correct ports open.
                    • 7. Re: Instant Web Publishing
                      Mehrdad

I disabled the firewall & my antivirus all together but I still have the problem. The documentation says that advance option (Specify) will allow me to change the port but my advance option is dimmed.

• 8. Re: Instant Web Publishing
                        TSGal

mehbastan:

Thank you for the additional information.

First, I uninstalled FileMaker Pro 10 from my Windows XP machine and installed the FileMaker Pro 10 Trial.   I launched the trial, opened a file, turned on Instant Web Publishing, and then went to another machine and accessed the file through a browser.

On your Windows XP machine, let's strip it down to the basics.  Run msconfig and disable all non-Microsoft Services.  Disable any non-Microsoft Startup items.  Reboot.  Launch FileMaker Pro Trial and turn on Instant Web Publishing.  If this still fails, then you need to look at the physical hardware for anything out of the norm.  For example, two network interface cards...

Let me know if you discover the problem.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: Instant Web Publishing
                          Mehrdad
                             I turned off all non Microsoft Services and all startup Items. When I start the IWP it take about 3 minutes and I get the message "Filemaker Cannot share file over the web because IWP could not be Started" the when I press the on button again everything comes up right and I can specify the port but Filemaker craches right after that.
                          • 10. Re: Instant Web Publishing
                            TSGal

mehbastan:

I'm not sure what else to try.  It works on my Dell Dimension running Windows XP with the same FileMaker Pro trial downloaded from our web site.  If any of our other Technicians have additional ideas, I'll pass them on.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 11. Re: Instant Web Publishing
                              Mehrdad

Just a little more info. Last night I checked the ports in questions with netstat -aon | findstr 0.0:80 and netstat -aon | findstr 0.0:591 Those 2 ports are free and unused by anything on my computer. So if there is a problem, it can not be in the used port section. Hopefully someone can come up with an answer soon since I love Filemaker and want to be able to purchase it with confidence. I have till the end of the next week to make my decision.

Thanks for your help

• 12. Re: Instant Web Publishing
                                Mehrdad

One more question. On all of the computers that I tried to install the Filmaker 10 I had FM 6 already installed. Can that have something to do with it. Could FM 10 be looking at a preference from FM 6.

I even uninstalled the FM 6 on on computer and checked the IWP after but it didn't fix the problem. I am not sure if I would have had the problem if I didn't have the FM 6 from the get go.

• 13. Re: Instant Web Publishing
                                  TSGal

mehbastan:

FileMaker Pro 6 will NOT interfere with FileMaker Pro 10.  I have FileMaker Pro 6, 8, 8.5, 9 and 10 on my machines.  There is no interference with running Instant Web Publishing.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 14. Re: Instant Web Publishing
                                    TSGal

Mehbastan:

Try removing the web.prefs file.  You will find this:

FileMaker\FileMaker Pro 10\Extensions\Web Support\Resources\web.prefs

Once removed, launch FileMaker Pro, and try to turn on Instant Web Publishing again.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

1 2 Previous Next