1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 20, 2011 11:14 AM by philmodjunk

Instant Web Publishing - hard to get ISP to understand

3WaveGuy

Title

Instant Web Publishing - hard to get ISP to understand

Hi,

I haven`t had any experience with Instant Web Publishing and I have a need to try it out. I contacted my ISP (powweb) and asked for the URL and port for me to publish my filemaker database to the internet via Instant Web Publishing.

They didn`t know what filemaker was, and told me they dont support remote access to databases, that I only have access to my databases through their control panel.

Do you have examples of what I am to say to my ISP so that they understand me better.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Instant Web Publishing - hard to get ISP to understand
          philmodjunk

You'd need to set up your computer system to work as the host for your IWP database or contract with a third party to do this for you. The only thing you might choose to get from your ISP (Don't ask for this until you've figured out all the other details first as this costs money), is a static IP address.

Doing this will take some work on your part or that of a technician familiar with your internet router. You'll need to set up Port Forwarding, to name one requirement so that users outside your network can point their browser at your internet router and get forwarded to the computer where the file is hosted.