14 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2015 6:30 AM by MichaelNagler

Instant web publishing problem

lyndon

Title

Instant web publishing problem

Dear Filemaker community: I'm learning FileMaker pro and I'm going through the exercises in the FileMaker Training series Workbook. I'm on the instant web publishing exercises and when I go to File then Sharing and then click "On" in the instant Web publishing dialog, I get an Error message that says: "FileMaker Pro cannot start instant web publishing because FileMaker Server or another instance of FileMaker Pro is running on this machine." As far as I know there isn't any other FileMaker Pro or Server running on my machine. Any help you could give me would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: Instant web publishing problem
          StephenMcGoldrick

Similar issue for me, so I too will be most appreciative of any answers/ clues.

• 2. Re: Instant web publishing problem
            davidanders
            Are you accepting the Port 80 default or choosing Port 591 (preferred). Have you had the trial FMP database running on the computer? You do not specify your computer or OS. This is sorta important. If you do not do monthly maintenance, I suggest you start. This depends on the OS and version. CCleaner and Defraggler on WIN XP, Vista, 7 Applejack, YASU or Onyx on Mac 10.4 thru 10.6
            • 3. Re: Instant web publishing problem
              StephenMcGoldrick

Thank you for the pointers -- everything runs fine on my Mac, it is only the Windows (Windows 7) machines that are giving me grief -- I didn't even think of changing the port number -- doh!

• 4. Re: Instant web publishing problem
                lyndon

Dear Davidanders: thank you for posting. I'm running Mac OS 10.6.7. And no, I'm running a full version of FileMaker Pro 11 Advanced. I haven't run the trial version. How do I change the Port? Thank you.

• 5. Re: Instant web publishing problem
                  StephenMcGoldrick

Hmmm . . . still having the same issue with my windows 7 machine -- no other copy of FileMaker on it, other than the one I installed.  Can't get to change the port number because it won't turn web publishing on!  Have run ccleaner and defraggle and still get the message "FileMaker Pro cannot start instant web publishing because FileMaker Server or another instance of FileMaker Pro is running on this machine."

• 6. Re: Instant web publishing problem
                    lyndon

I'm still having problems with my instant web publishing problem. I ran AppleJack as Davidanders recommended. Still the problem persists.

• 7. Re: Instant web publishing problem
                      lyndon

After perusing help for an hour, I found a help document about my and Stephen's problem. Essentially it said to reinstall FileMaker Pro. So I reinstalled FileMaker and after installing it did let me change the port to 591. The problem still persists.

• 8. Re: Instant web publishing problem
                        StephenMcGoldrick

I can't believe that Lyndon and I are the only ones experiencing this issue Frown

• 9. Re: Instant web publishing problem

Lyndon Luhmann and Stephen McGoldrick:

Thanks for posting and I apologize for the late response.

Do you see a process named fmserver or fmserverd in the process list?

On Windows, you can check by hitting CTRL + ALT + Delete, choosing Task Manager and selecting the Processes tab.

On Mac, run the Activity Monitor app from /Applications/Utilities/ and make sure that All Processes is selected from the drop down menu to the left of the search box.

If you do, this indicates that FileMaker Server is installed as well which is not a recommended configuration. If this is the case, uninstall FileMaker Server, reboot and attempt to reproduce the issue.

If this isn't the case, do you have an installation of FileMaker on a different machine where Instant Web Publishing is working? If so, let's try replacing the non-working installation's web.prefs file with a copy of the working one. 

On Windows, this file is located in C:\Program Files\FileMaker\FileMaker Pro 11\Extensions\Web Support\Resources

On Mac, you can find this file in /Applications/FileMaker Pro 11/Extensions/Web Support/

Please let me know if the issue persists after these steps.

TSBear

FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: Instant web publishing problem
                            ShaneC.

I've had a slightly different issue that I've been fighting for a few years on/off.  When I first installed FM Pro 9.0 I was using IWP.  Then it all of a sudden quit working.  I would keep getting "filemaker cannot share files over the web because instant web publishing could not be started".   FM tech support had me try a few things to no avail.  After reading the above post I went to that "web.prefs" file and renamed it.  I then retried starting IWP and it fired right up and works like a charm.  I looked at the folder again and it created a new "web.prefs" file.  The contents look like Japanese and the "corrupt" file has much more data in the file.

I've seen a quite a few posts with this issue with IWP, hope this helps others!

• 11. Re: Instant web publishing problem
                              lyndon

Dear TSBear:

Thank you for your suggestions. I did what you suggested. I ran the Activity Monitor app. It showed that a process named fmserverd was running. I looked in my applications folder but there is no FileMaker Server listed. I don't have another copy of FileMaker running on a different machine so I can't see if Instant web publishing is running OK. Where else can I look for FileMaker server? Thanks

• 12. Re: Instant web publishing problem
                                lyndon

Dear TSBear:

Thank you again for your help. I finally was able to find my copy of FileMaker Server in my Library folder. I deleted it and restarted and I can now turn on Instant Web publishing. Thanks again.

• 13. Re: Instant web publishing problem

Lyndon Luhmann:

I'm happy you were able to get everything successfully running! For other people viewing this thread, the recommended way to uninstall FileMaker Server on OS X is to the run the FileMaker Server installer and opt to uninstall when prompted. We highly recommend against removing the FileMaker Server folder directly from the library folder without first uninstalling as it may cause issues if you ever attempt to reinstall FileMaker Server on this computer.

TSBear

FileMaker, Inc.

• 14. Re: Instant web publishing problem
                                    MichaelNagler

TSBear, I'm having this same issue.  The computer I've installed on has never had Filemaker installed before.  I installed Filemaker Pro 11 and then updated it with v3.  When I go to turn on 'Instant Web Publishing' I have the same issue mentioned earlier.  I do have another computer in the office with a perfectly working version and tried copying over web.prefs but that didn't help. Do you have any other suggestions?

Thank you.