12 Replies Latest reply on Feb 11, 2010 1:57 PM by Rix7t7

instant web publishing question

Rix7t7

Title

instant web publishing question

I'm trying to turn off the status area so that I can use custom buttons from a web session. I run the script on my host but the status area still shows up in the browser. How do I invoke the script when the database is opened from a browser, I suspect this is the piece I'm missing.

Thanks

• 1. Re: instant web publishing question
          Marx

In a startup script (see File Options) place a conditional script step, e.g.

If PatternCount ( Get ( ApplicationVersion ) ; "Web" ) 

ShowHide Status Area [Hide, Lock]

Endif 

• 2. Re: instant web publishing question
            Rix7t7
               Thanks, I'll give that a try.
            • 3. Re: instant web publishing question
              Rix7t7

The status area is now hidden but my buttons don't seem to work right. I know this could be due to many things...how do I know for sure that I'm in web mode sort to speak. In your example script, where is application version, "web" found?

Thanks

• 4. Re: instant web publishing question
                Marx

If you are using a browser to see the filemaker data then that is IWP - I think once you find the following functions listed below - that will answer your question about mode?

The function Get ( ApplicationVersion ) is available whenever the calculation engine dialogue is open - but you need to select from the drop down in the upper right of the dialogue (I too have found the this a little confusing) it DOES NOT show when "all functions by name" is selected - not sure why - you need to use the drop down to select "Get functions" then they will all show up in the function list of the calc editor.

In startup script I have set variable [$$isweb ; PatternCount ( Get ( ApplicationVersion ) ; "Web" )] so that I need that test only once and in all other scripting - I use

If ($$isweb )

do this thing

else

that thing

endif 

• 5. Re: instant web publishing question
                  Rix7t7
                     Thanks, I'll give that a try
                  • 6. Re: instant web publishing question
                    Rix7t7

This seems to do the same thing for me at this point. But I can access this in other srcipts if need be later. Further, so in my problem the web user is doing a find with a button, it goes to a field provides a drop down list, pauses for user input then continues. In my web view I can't get the find executed from the pause state (user intervention required). In the host site I simply hit return to move from pause.

Any thoughts...thanx

• 7. Re: instant web publishing question
                      Marx

Pause is not a supported script step for IWP - what version of FMP are you using?

Pause has been known to disable a session completely.

The script editor has a drop down that lets you know what steps are supported and which are not by greying out those that are NOT supported.

The "Show Compatibility" drop down choices are "All, Client, Server, or Web Publishing" 

If you want the User to do the same things - you will need to add a button and change the logic to not use the Pause script step. 

• 8. Re: instant web publishing question
                        DLW-BPEX
                           - Pause is not a supported script step for IWP - what version of FMP are you using?

Is that statement totally correct? Pause *for duration* is not IWP-compatible due to the nature of how IWP works. But pause indefinitely is indicated as being compatible. Subsequent user action to Resume (with a custom button) seems to work fine.

Pause has been known to disable a session completely.

Could you please elaborate on that?
                        Thank you.
                        David 
                        • 9. Re: instant web publishing question
                          Marx

Sure - I cannot recall the fm server or fmp version - but I had scripts that had the pause statement left open, ie.

not concealed (controlled) behind an if statement, e.g.

If (not $$isweb)

Pause

Endif 

The result was that the session (IWP) simply stopped in its tracks - it would not respond - sort of lost its mind basically. 

• 10. Re: instant web publishing question
                            DLW-BPEX

Thank you.

I have wondered about this somewhat since the beginning. But the only times I use a scripted Pause in IWP is for something like switching layouts where the user is offered two choices such as CANCEL (which resumes the Exit script and reverts to the original layout) or EXIT (which proceeds with the shutdown process). No other action is possible.

So, I wouldn't expect hiccups in such cases.

David 

• 11. Re: instant web publishing question
                              Rix7t7
                                 Thanks guys...I'm using version 10 and have added some buttons to drive the pause. That seems to work.
                              • 12. Re: instant web publishing question
                                Rix7t7

I'm wondering if there are easier ways to share for nodes outside of the wireless network we are running? Going to some reading about that but any advice or pointers to reading material would be appreciated. Thinking of something like "mobileme" where data is housed in the sky.

Thanks