3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 2, 2009 11:22 AM by TSGal

Instant Web Publishing questions

dph

Title

Instant Web Publishing questions

Total Newbie here. 

Using IWP I have put my database on the web... except it can only be accessed locally.  The URL FileMaker provided is my local IP.  I switched over to a static IP... still no luck.  I called my ISP... still no luck.  I called to purchase a domain name and a database hosting package... but they don't support FileMaker.  Can anyone please help?  I have salesmen who travel up to 200 miles who need to access to this database.

• 1. Re: Instant Web Publishing questions
          TSGal

dph:

Thank you for your post.

I'm a little confused.... You said "The URL FileMaker provided is my local IP."  FileMaker does not provide an IP address.  That is done by your Internet Service Provider.

If you have a static IP, then open the file, turn on Instant Web Publishing, and set your file access to All Users.

Next, go to another machine, open your browser and enter:

http://<IP Address>

If your access port is set to 591 (reserved for FileMaker Pro), then enter:

http://<IP Address>:591

The file should now appear.

Feel free to send me a private message with your IP Address, and I will try it from my computer.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Instant Web Publishing questions
            FenixReign

TS Gal,

Would that work for users not on the same network?  Or would all users trying to connect to that database have to be on the same Network to view it?

• 3. Re: Instant Web Publishing questions
              TSGal

FenixReign:

Thank you for your post.

If you have a fixed/static IP address, then anyone should be able to see it.  However, if your IP address is only for your internal network, then users outside the network would not be able to see it.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.