1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 24, 2008 8:28 AM by TSGal

Instant Web Publishing vs. Autocomplete

GlennT

Title

Instant Web Publishing vs. Autocomplete

Two questions, actually - both related to Application UI functionality that I'd like in IWP.

1. Autocomplete with web interface?
      2. Viewing related fields after the key field has been tabbed out of?

The first is pretty obvious - Can I get AJAX-style autocomplete in the FMP web interface?

For the second... I have a database with several tables.  One is the main table, and the others are related by simple joins.  I have a layout that has:
        KeyField
          ::Detail_1
          ::Detail_2

Using IWP, I'd like KeyField to autocomplete, and I'd like that, when I tab out of KeyField, ::Detail_1 and ::Detail_2 get displayed with the related values.

The existing FMP 9.0 behavior is actually even worse:  if you just fill in KeyField, submitting the record will *erase* ::Detail_1 and ::Detail_2 in the related table.  (Yes, I know why it happens, but that doesn't make it a good thing.)

Is there any way to get this sort of smooth, seamless behavior from FileMaker Pro - or FMP Advanced, Server, etc.?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Instant Web Publishing vs. Autocomplete
          TSGal

Glenn:

Thank you for your post.

At this time, there is no Autocomplete with Instant Web Publishing.  You might be able to accomplish this using Custom Web Publishing and writing your own javascript along with css.  If anybody has done this, can you help?

For both of your suggestions, I would encourage you to go to:

http://www.filemaker.com/company/feature_request.html

This is the best place to enter product suggestions, as the information is directly sent to Product Marketing and Development departments.  I would copy and paste the above information for you, but there are questions asked that only you can answer.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.