3 Replies Latest reply on May 4, 2010 8:37 AM by AnthonyReimer

Instant Web Publishing with v11 and Snow Leopard

rjs

Title

Instant Web Publishing with v11 and Snow Leopard

Hi,

Anyone out there having any luck using Filemaker Pro v11 IWP with Snow Leopard (10.6.3)? Trying various methods with no success. Get the message that IWP cannot be started. Here is what I have tried:

• confirmed extended privledges were on for IWP (admin, data entry, and read only)
      • Added new users with admin privledge to the system (OS X) to see if it was unique to a particular user
      • Tried with and without OS X firewall enabled
      • Tried to enable IWP with and without a database (.fp7) file open
      • Looked for a web preferences file to delete, but the folder in which that file resides never got created in the FileMaker 11 folder

I should mention that the same problem occurred in FMP9 on Leopard and Snow Leopard. IWP did work on a computer running 10.4.x under FMP9.

I removed all preference files and the FMP9 folder and reinstalled FMP11. Still no luck. The only reason for purchasing the upgrade to v11 was to try and get IWP working under Snow Leopard.

What does seem to turn on is the Filemaker Pro sharing (where each computer needs a copy of FMP). Anyone else experiencing this sort of issue? Are there some files lurking on the hard drive from v9 that should be deleted?

• 1. Re: Instant Web Publishing with v11 and Snow Leopard
          larrymcmunn

I had no problem running the trial version of 11 Server Advanced on my MacBookPro with 10.6.3. And after that trial, we replaced a 9 Advanced with 11 Advanced on a Mini running 10.5.8. I think all my IT did was to run the uninstaller to remove the 9 version before installing 11. We have been quite happy with 11 so far.

• 2. Re: Instant Web Publishing with v11 and Snow Leopard
            rjs

I am going to also try on another machine tonight that has never had FMP installed on it.

I was looking around on the forums and found a link where it mentioned a possible conflict with ichat server. We are running an openfire server on the same mac mini. I am going to try turning that off and see what happens. Hopefully that isn't the problem. It would be bummer to not be able to use both on the same machine.

• 3. Re: Instant Web Publishing with v11 and Snow Leopard
              AnthonyReimer

When switching from a working IWP setup in FMP 10 Advanced to FMP 11 Advanced, I also had a failure. I could not turn it on through the GUI either. This happened in Mac OS X 10.5.8 as well as 10.6.3. I eventually determined that the problem was that I was running in a (Mac OS X) Standard user account. Once I logged in to an (Mac OS X) admin account, launched the same databases and then went in to Sharing > Instant Web Publishing, I found that I could turn IWP on. I did that and then logged out. This must have changed a file that required admin privileges, as when I next logged in to the Standard User account, IWP was on and working. I don't think I should have to log in to an admin account to do that (I should only have to authenticate as an admin user), but doing that fixed it for me. I am not certain yours will be so easy, but if you are running in a Standard user account, this is definitely worth a try. I believe IWP starts up Apache, so it needs an admin authorization to do that.