2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 8, 2011 8:19 AM by JackGregory

Integration of digital library- viewing documents remotely/marking documents "read"

JackGregory

Title

Integration of digital library- viewing documents remotely/marking documents "read"

HI- I'm completely new to Filemaker/database design. I'm wondering to what extent it's possible to use Filemaker as an ipso-facto online library. I see that the "starter" options include some decent asset management and library support functions, including being able to link to and download documents.

I'm specifically looking for two mechanisms- for users to be able to log in for the purpose of individually noting what documents/files they've personally read (personal data available only to that specific user. I guess this would effectively be a subsidiary database) and then also being able to read documents remotely (rather than download and create duplicate copies).

The project involves creating an (online-accessable) library of a huge number of reference documents (70,000+) that are themselves pretty cross-referential. So it's important that individual users can keep track of what they've each personally viewed. And since the library is effectively a digital content library of graphics-based content, duplication of documents is not desirable. Ideally, the source documents are only viewed, rather than duplicated in order to be viewed.

I should probably clarify- the option to mark a document as having been "read" would be only reflected for that same user. Only that single user would see the updated change. For any other users, the document in question would remain marked as "unread".

Any thoughts? If anything I'd be hugely appreciative for simple solutions to marking things "read" or "unread" on a user-by-user basis

Thanks much!

• 1. Re: Integration of digital library- viewing documents remotely/marking documents "read"
          mgores

For the marking of each document to each user you would need another table that is basically a Join table between users and documents.  It is basically a many to many relationship.  You would need to have the userID, the documentID and possibly a date field to show when the document was viewed.

As to the opening of the documents - I have found it difficult to be able to open documents on the server from Filemaker directly.  The best work around I have found was to have the document (stored as reference) in a container field, then set up a button to export the container to the users temporary file path with the open after export option checked.  That way even though the file is actually copied to the user's computer, it is stored in the Temp folder and deleted at some point by their system.  This prevents users from actually altering the source file in the library (at least when going through Filemaker) which in our case was desirable.

• 2. Re: Integration of digital library- viewing documents remotely/marking documents "read"
            JackGregory

Mark, that's great- both parts of your answer appear to be purely excellent! I think that should absolutely address my question. Thanks very much!