5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2013 3:36 PM by Quirijn

Intelligent fields

Quirijn

Title

Intelligent fields

Hi, I made a database, which is a library with pages that can be printed as documents. A document has one ore two pages, depending of its contents. When a field is not completely filled with information, the fields underneath automatically shift upwards on the printed page. Now the last field is a container, and depending of the size of the fields above, and its own content, it will be printed on page 1 or page 2, or it is cut in two pieces, printed on both pages. Which unfortunately cuts my image as well. What I want is an intelligent field that, when it doesn’t fit entirely on page 1 automatically shifts to page two. Is this possible?
           Quirijn

• 1. Re: Intelligent fields
          philmodjunk

Regrettably, this is not something that can be done just by selecting a setting for the container field or its layout. FileMaker is not a desktop publishing program and it does not manage page breaks with as much power and flexibility as you might like.

You might end up checking your layout in preview to see where the container fits on the pages and then making an adjustment that keeps it from splitting. The adjustment might be to add some returns to the last field to be placed above the layout to keep the container field from sliding up too far.

• 2. Re: Intelligent fields
            Quirijn

Thanks for your answer Phil. What you describe is what I've been doing up till now. I did hope there would have been a more practical and less timetaking solution. I will consider to fix the containerfield on the second page of the document.

Quirijn

• 3. Re: Intelligent fields
              philmodjunk

If you are up for a pretty major scripting effort, GetLayoutObjectAttribute can return the height of a sliding field. If you used a script to preview the document, it could probably determine the Height of all the sliding field in order to calculate the number of returns to add and thus make the necessary adjustment automatically.

• 4. Re: Intelligent fields
                davidanders

Database Publishing is using the data in Filemaker and printing from Indesign (or Quark or Pagemaker).

There is a demo database on Automator (Mac OSX) database publishing.  http://automator.us/examples-04.html

• 5. Re: Intelligent fields
                  Quirijn

This looks interesting! I'll work on it, thanks!