3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 25, 2015 8:17 AM by philmodjunk

Intergrating FileMaker Pro and SharePoint

MichaelTippett

Title

Intergrating FileMaker Pro and SharePoint

I have a client who wishes to integrate FileMaker Pro 13 and SharePoint 2010.

The problem is, their FileMaker Database File is on a different server. its pointing to an address like fmnet:/server.com/company_DB

I am unable to connect to this file from the sharepoint server computer via odbcad32.exe.

If I create a windows share on server with the DB file, would I be able to connect and integrate that way?

• 1. Re: Intergrating FileMaker Pro and SharePoint
          philmodjunk

DO NOT use filesharing to share a FileMaker database. This can result in damaged database files. Use the recommended method of using Open Remote from FileMaker Pro to open a file hosted by Filemaker Pro or FileMaker Server instead. This process can be scripted. You can also set up an HTML file with the FMP protocol to launch the local copy of FileMaker and use it to connect to a hosted copy of the database.

• 2. Re: Intergrating FileMaker Pro and SharePoint
            MichaelTippett

Hi,

Thank you for your response. But am I able to sync it with SharePoint 2010 by doing this?  I assume when you say "Open Remote from FileMaker Pro" this is just opening the database file from within filemaker itself.

I need to be able to connect too the filemaker database via odbcad32.exe in order to sync it with SharePoint 2010

• 3. Re: Intergrating FileMaker Pro and SharePoint
              philmodjunk

That doesn't sound possible to me, but I am unfamiliar with this set up. What I DO know suggests that this won't work, however.

FileMaker is set up to be shared between multiple users by opening a copy of the database with FileMaker Pro or FileMaker Server. Users then use their copy of FileMaker Pro to access the hosted copy via open remote or you publish the database to the web and users access it from a web browser. It's also possible to set up things like Citrix terminal server to use a copy of FileMaker to access the hosted file.

But note how none of that matches the set up you are attempting.