AnsweredAssumed Answered

Inventory Automation

Question asked by LauraFisher on Oct 22, 2013
Latest reply on Oct 23, 2013 by philmodjunk

Title

Inventory Automation

Hello! I have just started with Filemaker Pro and I'm so impressed with it, but a little bit lost.

I'm guessing that there is a way to do what I'd like to do, but I don't even know where to start looking for how to set it up. So if you can answer me directly, that's great, but even if you can just point me at which part of the help files to read, that would be most appreciated as well.

So I have an inventory database. It has the parts in it to make widgets, which I make myself - let's say it's got widget bottoms, widget tops, and widget middles. So in my database, I have entries for the number of tops, bottoms, middles, and completed widgets which I have on hand.

So say I make three widgets today. Is there an automated way (a script??) to "press a button" (literally or figuratively) and have it increase the widget count by 3 and ALSO decrease the tops, bottoms and middles accordingly?

It seems like there is probably some straightforward way to do this. Or do I need a different setup? Should my finished goods be in their own separate inventory file?

Any help is most appreciated here - I am complete beginner, and totally not afraid to "read the manual" - if only I knew where to start reading! Thank you!

Outcomes