1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 19, 2013 9:36 AM by philmodjunk

Inventory lookup

JeremyFrazier

Title

Inventory lookup

I am new to filemaker, about 2 weeks old. I have spent many many hours reading tutorials, watching videos, building, and searching for answers. So far everything is going great and I have created far more than I ever thought possible when I started. It took me 2+ hours to have have a field pop up on a different table, and 4 to make a button to find all past records related to the current one.

I have searched all over for an answer to this question and I'm sorry if there are hundreds of post and I'm just not using the right teminology to find them.

I am running a repair and storage warehouse for a school district. I have all inventory listed in on table, and made an invoice for repairs done. All I'm trying to do is have a field in the inventory table, to input the barcode number and have it show me the rest of the information about the item. The problem I'm having is if I try to look at another item using the barcode number it seems to instead change the barcode number of the item I am currently on to what I am trying to search for, so now I am looking at the same item but with a wrong barcode number. 

I've tried making a search field, making a new field and attaching a button and can't get anything to work. I tried "Prohibit modification," and unchecking the "Field entry" but then I can't put in a search. Anything I do just seems to make a mess. This seems like a simple process, I dont need to search every field, on the current "barcode" field, for an exact number.

Thanks for your help 

• 1. Re: Inventory lookup
          philmodjunk

The search tool for searching out posts in this forum leaves a lot to be desired.

You were getting data changes because you were entering the barcode number into your barcode field while in browse mode--don't know if you were scanning a barcode or typing it in, but the result is the same.

You can use a separate search field with global storage specified and a script that uses the data in that field to perform a find. See this thread for examples: Scripted Find Examples

You can set up a relationship and a portal so that entering/scanning the barcode into the separate search field display any matching records in the portal.

Or you can enter find mode, enter or scan your barcode into the barcode field--not a separate search field and then perform a find to to find your record(s). BUT DO NOT DO THIS WHILE IN BROWSE MODE OR YOU WILL ALTER THE BARCODE OF THE CURRENT RECORD INSTEAD OF SEARCHING FOR A RECORD OF THAT BARCODE. The risk of accidentally doing this is one of the reasons for using a separate search field.