4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 5, 2010 10:24 AM by sw

Inventory question..

sw

Title

Inventory question..

Hi, hoping someone can give me some pointers on this.  I am new to FM so please excuse if this is a very basic concept.. I'm on a steep learning curve here.

I am creating my database to track inventory of assets.

We have two types of assets, let's say they are Cars and Dairy Cows.  Each have very different characteristics (fields), that I need to record.

For example, for a car, I would want to see make, model, year, mileage, type of engine, registration, how many doors, type of fuel, last service date, VIN no, service notes, purchase price, purchase date.  

On the cow, I'd want breed, sex, tag, origin, pedigree, date of birth, dates of vaccinations, vet records, purchase price, purchase date, milk yield, breeding history... 

so, SOME of the fields are the same (purchase price, purchase date), but some are not applicable to one or the other type of asset. 

What is the best way to go about laying this out?  Ideally I would like to see only the applicable fields for that type of asset when viewing the database and entering data.

Thanks for any pointers.

• 1. Re: Inventory question..
          philmodjunk

You have two basic options here. Both work it's almost a preference choice on your part.

1. Put all the fields in one table and just leave non-applicable fields empty.
          2. Put your data in three tables, A master table where you have one record for every cow and every car and you define fields here that apply to both cars and cows. Two "detail" tables--one for cows and one for cars that have specific to type fields and link to the master table with a one to one relationship.

With either approach, you can set up separate layouts for viewing cow and car records. Both Layouts would refer to the same table (this would be the master table if you use option 2) but would then be customized to the needs of that type of item.

You can use scripts and script triggers to make sure  that each record is viewed/edited from the correct layout.

The main difference I can think of, is that if you need a report that lists detailed information on both cows and cars, option 1 may work a little better.

• 2. Re: Inventory question..
            sw

Thanks - I think option 1 sounds like it will be a little simpler.

Just to clarify what you said about setting up separate layouts for car/cow records; so would I set up a separate data entry layout for each type of record?

thanks

• 3. Re: Inventory question..
              philmodjunk

Exactly, and you just leave the fields that don't apply to that type of item off that layout.

• 4. Re: Inventory question..
                sw

OK thanks.. I'm sure I'll have more questions but I'll take a run at it. tks!