3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 19, 2012 9:59 AM by philmodjunk

Inventory template and some changes

AlexRansome

Title

Inventory template and some changes

Hi,

I have been tasked at work to make an Inventory database that allows the stock of cable to be monitored. The "Inventory" template is the one I have looked at and what to adopt, but make some changes to. Can someone point me in the right direction.

The changes I'd like to have in my database is to able to search by bar-code information, so a number is put into a field and that finds the record for that bar-code (in my database I deal with cable and each cable has it's own bar-code) and then when the record has been found have two buttons, one button to add a cable to the stock level and another to remove a cable from the stock level. The stock level should be visible on the record page.

I think that the template Inventory's way of adding transactions is not quick enough, I don't want to enter the date (can this be done automaticaly) or a description (I assume I can just delete these fields) but I would like the IN or OUT to change on the press of the corresponding button.

Thanks for any pointers. 

• 1. Re: Inventory template and some changes
          philmodjunk

The description can also be added automatically at the same time as the date so this field need not slow you down. Whether you have a use for the field or not is something you will need to decide, but knowning why an item was added to or removed from inventory can be very useful.

You have two main tasks--either one of which is a forum thread on its own:

1) setting up barcodes so that you can find records by scanning a barcode label

2) adding scripts that automate the process of adding items to or removing them from inventory

Let's start with 1.

Do you have a barcode scanner? Do you know how to use it?

Is it connected directly to your computer, an iphone or ipad or is it the type where you scan multiple items while moving through a store or warehouse and then you return to the computer and need to process the entire batch of scanned barcodes?

And do you add/remove single cables from inventory or is it more typical that you have a batch of multiple cables to remove or add? (If dealing with multiple cables at a time, it will be faster to set up system where you can scan each item and it is then added or removed without needing to click any additional buttons with each scan. You click a button to specify removing or adding items, then just start scanning lables like a clerk at a cash register and the rest happens automatically.)

Note: there are a number of threads here in this forum that discuss barcode scanners. Searching them out may provide you with some useful examples of how to set this part of the process up.

• 2. Re: Inventory template and some changes
            AlexRansome

Hi,

Do you have a barcode scanner? YES Do you know how to use it? YES

Is it connected directly to your comput er, an iphone or ipad or is it the type where you scan multiple items while moving through a store or warehouse and then you return to the computer and need to process the entire batch of scanned barcodes? Both. The intention is to get the next model up which has bluetooth and registers as a keyboard on a iPad. Currently it's intended use is to be tethered to the iPad and filemaker will take the text and perform the an action after the enter key command has been receivied from the scanner. The scanner can be programmed to have a longer pause between transferring scans to allow filemaker to keep up.

And do you add/remove single cables from inventory or is it more typical that you have a batch of multiple cables to remove or add? (If dealing with multiple cables at a time, it will be faster to set up system where you can scan each item and it is then added or removed without needing to click any additional buttons with each scan. A bunch of cables of cables are kept out from the stores and these would be passed by the scanner when they are used (just like the checkout at the supermarket). You click a button to specify removing or adding items, then just start scanning lables like a clerk at a cash register and the rest happens automatically.) This would be great!!!

• 3. Re: Inventory template and some changes
              philmodjunk

Hmmm, using FileMaker Go with the scanner linked to an iOS device complicates things. I don't own such a device and so can't advise you on the best way to set this up and automate the scanning. When the scanner is linked directoy to a computer in FileMaker Pro, you can set it up in keyboard emulation such that OnLayoutKeyStroke and OnObjectExit script triggers are tripped by the start and end of the scan. This makes it easy to scan data into a text field and have the data processed automatically with each scan.

You may want to search the FM Go Forum for discussions on barcode scanners to see what works with that configuration.

The reference to "transactions" suggests that you are using the Starter solution that came with FileMaker 12 so I will assume that this is the case for the following sample script:

If you create a barcode label that encodes the content of the Item ID Match Field, then you can add a global text field: gItemID and set up a script like this:

#Put your global text field, gItemID on a layout based on Stock Transactions
              #Run this script from there
              New Record/Request
              Set Field [Stock Transactions::ITEM ID MATCH FIELD ; Stock Transactions::gItemID ]
              Set Field [Stock Transactions::Description ; "Items " & $$Mode ]
              If [$$Mode = "In" ]
                 Set Field [Stock Transactions::Units In ; 1 ]
              Else
                 Set Field [Stock Transactions::Units Out ; 1 ]
              End If

Note: Stock Transactions::date auto-enters the current date each time a new record is created so we do not have to enter a date. $$Mode is a global variable. You can use buttons to perform scripts like these:

Set Variable [$$Mode ; value: "In" ]

To set the mode before you start scanning bar codes.

What I can't tell you, is how to have this script perform automatically with each scan on an iOS device. You may have to tap a button after each scan.