AnsweredAssumed Answered

Invoice and Inventory...relationship help?

Question asked by sabrown on Apr 11, 2011
Latest reply on Apr 24, 2011 by sabrown

Title

Invoice and Inventory...relationship help?

After reading the forums for a while (especially this: http://forums.filemaker.com/posts/9befc26ce1) I have four tables set up:

Invoices 

Inventory Log

Inventory Items

Contacts

I need help getting these tables to communicate…

I'm not sure if I am having a problem with the relationships I have set up, or if I need to write some scripts to make things function.

I would like the database to automatically create records in the Inventory Log when someone creates a new record in the Inventory Items table. I would also like to have the Invoices update the Inventory Log as well…but don't know how to make the whole "debit and credit" thing actually work…

I thought I could set up an "Add to Inventory Log" button on the Inventory Items screen, but don't know enough about scripts to make it work… I tried using set field and got no results…  I DO have "allow creation of new records" checked in the Edit Relationship dialog area though.

This is the script I tried to attach to the button:

New Window [Name: "Inventory Log"]

Go To Layout ["Inventory Log" (Inventory Log)]

New Record Request

Set Field [Inventory Log::ID_ID Inventory]

Is there a step missing in the script, or should I be trying something else to carry a new record over from the Inventory Items table to the Inventory log table? Also, from what I think I understand, creating a new Invoice should also remove items from the inventory log table…but I guess if I can get it working with the Inventory Items table I might be able to figure it out with the Invoices.

Thanks for your help,

S

Outcomes